• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Differences in HTML5 and Windows when run?

T

Tenten2016

When I run the game on Windows, it works fine.

When I run the game on HTML5, the game seems to get confused and plants a white screen on one half of the game screen along with a few random words.

When debugging the game or looking back within my codes to find the problem, what exactly or what do I look for to scout out what's causing these differences from platform to platform? What should I keep an eye out for within my code?

thanks for any suggestions. =D

UPDATE: I tested it again and now it's working on HTML5. I don't know if this means, the game had to think for a minute to work or...I don't know if it had a brain fart...=/ It's still kind of alarming that it took four tries for it to come up right. =/

Last edited by a moderator:

Hyomoto

The quickest answer is that HTML5 does not work the same as the Windows platform and that's almost certainly why your problems exist. The scope of your problems is going to depend on your project itself, but you need to read the manual especially for drawing functions as many do not work at all, or behave differently on the HTML5 platform. The same goes for device input.

T

Tenten2016

This I understand. The project was coded in HTML5 and the game tested fine when running as HTML5 . This problem hadn't occur until now, so I'm asking what are things I should be looking at to make this problem not occur again, or to be able to fix it. Debugging...

The quickest answer is that HTML5 does not work the same as the Windows platform and that's almost certainly why your problems exist. The scope of your problems is going to depend on your project itself, but you need to read the manual especially for drawing functions as many do not work at all, or behave differently on the HTML5 platform. The same goes for device input.

True Valhalla

Full-Time Developer
GMC Elder
You should test early and often, and build specifically for HTML5 from the very start. Porting an existing game to HTML5 is never a straightforward process.