• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Design difference in making a mobile and a pc game

jermaine

hii im making a game and wanted it to be on mobile.
this is my first time and i have a few questions to ask hopefully you guys can help!
first of all do i have to create two different projects for both pc and mobile.so that the UI and the controls are different.
and if so the buttons on the mobiles are jus if pressed right and a sprite right?
and if i made it on mobile does the viewport have to be smaller or smth? or can it jus stay the same.
and i assume in order to test the game i would have to add the function if mouse pressed or smth jus to test it right?

Ommn

first of all do i have to create two different projects for both pc and mobile.so that the UI and the controls are different.
you can use one project to mobile and PC.
if so the buttons on the mobiles are jus if pressed right and a sprite right?
yes same way working fine on PC.
if i made it on mobile does the viewport have to be smaller or smth? or can it jus stay the same.
Depends on the sizes of your game but usually the same sizes working fine.
i assume in order to test the game i would have to add the function if mouse pressed or smth jus to test it right?
yes, it is same PC.

jermaine

you can use one project to mobile and PC.
hmmm how does this work then?
wont the mobile version need buttons while the pc version does not.
do i jus add duplicates of the room with buttons in it or something?
Depends on the sizes of your game but usually the same sizes working fine.
wait so no matter how big or small the view port is.
it will still fit the phone. it jus either...extends or make it smaller???sorry havent tried to make a game for mobile yet loll

Ommn

you can use this codes for draw button on screen
GML:
if os_type==os_android or os_type==os_ios
{
draw_sprite(spr_button_jump,0,x,y)
}

jermaine

you can use this codes for draw button on screen
jus to double check with ya. if i use this i wont have to do this again for windows right? lets say i only want my game to be in windows and android. while im making this game in windows. i will only have to use this for android and jus not do anything for the windows part right.

and..im not so sure about this but will i be able to test the android features on the pc...i assume i cant but just to make sure lol