• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Discussion Difference between Studio, Company, Games

H

Heat4Life

I've been thinking to start my own Video Game *studio, company or something*! I've been thinking naming It Heat Studio, or Heat Video Game Company, or Heat Games... What's the difference between a Studio, a Company and well uhh.. putting "games" on your name?

T

Tirous

Naming a game company is actually pretty simple.

Just choose a vary forced pun that will lose its novelty and respect almost immediately, then plaster it upon everything you make and watch the money role in, bling-bling b*****s!

Seriously tho, its actually been proven time and time again to work, shockingly...

L

Law

To seriously have a company I'm pretty confident you'd have to register. But I don't know if studio has a special meaning, but googling appears to imply studios are more like producers? More being a "place for games to be made", then "people making games". Not sure, it appears to be a bit subjective, hoping someone with a good understanding of law and stuff can step in and correct me (cough @NPT ).

That said you can't just start a company by saying "I'm a company now!". You have to register and stuff, probably not worth it. : P

Gamer (ex-Cantavanda)

〜Flower Prince〜
Be sure to make it "gamez" not "games" because it will appeal to the kids and make you sell more games, they also like double letters, so I would suggest "HeattGamez"

pixeltroid

A "studio" is just a workspace where you or a team make games, movies, music or anything. A studio can even be just inside a garage or your room.

A "company" can have its office in a small studio. Or even call themselves "Heat Studio" or whatever. But companies need to be registered and need to handle all kinds of paperwork.

C

ConsolCWBY

Considering the OP's title:
Difference between Studio, Company, Games
The difference is: A studio is usually a team, a company is usually 1 or more people and is of a type (Co. Inc. LTD, LLC, etc), and games are what you play.
Based on this, just use your username for now - I wouldn't worry too much at the start of your endeavors, unless you plan on selling it THEN worry. lol

H

Heat4Life

I still don't get what's the difference between a Studio and a Company lol But no worries yet lmfao

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
I still don't get what's the difference between a Studio and a Company...
There's no difference. Naming your company is like naming your game. It can be accurate and descriptive, or whimsical and random. And whether it contains the words studio, company, or game make no difference -- legal or otherwise.

You don't have to register your company name. But there are advantages to doing so. First, registering the name makes it easier to sue if someone else uses that name. And if you're looking for investors or partners, having a legally registered name is useful. Same for tax purposes.

Check the local and national laws where you live. Anybody can figure it out -- you don't need a lawyer. Seriously, it's easy. Just be prepared to pay whatever fees are required.

But if you're a hobbyist, or a kid, or just having fun, then don't bother registering. Just choose a name you like. Maybe get a website with that name too. And a twitter account, and facebook page with that name. (Just make sure they aren't already in use.)

Poof, you're a company.

Last edited:
H

Heat4Life

There's no difference. Naming your company is like naming your game. It can be accurate and descriptive, or whimsical and random. And whether it contains the words studio, company, or game make no difference -- legal or otherwise.

You don't have to register your company name. But there are advantages to doing so. First, registering the name makes it easier to sue if someone else uses that name. And if you're looking for investors or partners, having a legally registered name is useful. Same for tax purposes.

Check the local and national laws where you live. Anybody can figure it out -- you don't need a lawyer. Seriously, it's easy. Just be prepared to pay whatever fees are required.

But if you're a hobbyist, or a kid, or just having fun, then don't bother registering. Just choose a name you like. Maybe get a website with that name too. And a twitter account, and facebook page with that name. (Just make sure they aren't already in use.)

Poof, you're a company.
Awesome! :D

A

AnonyMouse

Sometimes dumb names are easy to remember. People remember things that are looking or sounding irritating and dumb names are there. First I red them Hat Studio or Hat videogame company. Really a name as Hat gamez or "Hat gameez" or "Hat ganes" will irritate people very much and they will remember it. But that is not important so much. I myself like names which cant be remembered easy and confuses most of people, including the logo, for example "Hat" could be written in such a manner with small "c" so it will look as quotes - is it cHat ganes1 (1 as superscript) or "Hat games", **** (autocensored), but the product is more important.
If it is going serously you may register a domain and here may be a problem if the name is taken already.
Heh, it is too late and I am starting to write to much...