• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Diferent Tiles sheets using the same layer

jonjons

Is there any info if this option will ever be back on GM ?
Its that i cant understand the logic... Is it for performance that you can not mix diferent tile sheets in the same layer, but adding 500 layers with diferent tile sheets, just to add a window on a building or a vent, or a shadow, makes building a level better and improves performance ? I dont get it.

This just removes the option for trial and error, consumes more time, and makes the level look flat and vague.
A level already takes 3 or 4 layers of the same tile sheet to make it work. The ground were the player can move, back1, back2, trash cans, front, etc...
If you have urban tiles sheets organized lets say street nr1, nr2, nr3, doors, windows, bridges... you cant put them togheter or experiment with them... And creating a new tile sheet in photoshop its just worthless junk that is going to accumulate and pile up, the exact same has adding diferent layers in the room editor, there will always be something important missing, laying around in a 900x 1200 .png image.

I get this.. lets say you have the average adventure platformer game
Theres the:
-city level
-lava level
-water lever
-etc.
Now lets say you want to mix then togheter and do diferent level variations, you cant... Those single tile sheets already take a pile of tiles ( if the game is any good ).

If its ok to be locked in the same layer for tile sheets.
Then i guess the same thing can be done with the asset layers... Instead of going into the resouce tree and add multiple sprites. Just have the option to add one sprite for each asset layer, but that sprite can be added 100x or more.

Then... its just trial and error, and looking at the final result 500 asset layers for one room....