• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Did Game Maker version on forum profiles get removed?

S

SSJCoder

I noticed it seems to be missing, does anyone know when/why it was removed, or if it was just moved somewhere else?

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
As far as I recall, this was on the old GMC that has been purged by now and never existed on the new (current) GMC. We now have topic tags which easily lets users specify which version a question is about, as well as a split Tech Support forum. I can't make any statements about why it wasn't added to this GMC as well as I wasn't involved in making the decision, but can't say I've ever missed it as the tags which are local to topics usually give more information than a profile attribute would (as you may be using both 2.x and 1.x at the same time to finish some old projects).

S

SSJCoder

As far as I recall, this was on the old GMC that has been purged by now and never existed on the new (current) GMC. We now have topic tags which easily lets users specify which version a question is about, as well as a split Tech Support forum. I can't make any statements about why it wasn't added to this GMC as well as I wasn't involved in making the decision, but can't say I've ever missed it as the tags which are local to topics usually give more information than a profile attribute would (as you may be using both 2.x and 1.x at the same time to finish some old projects).
Thought that could've been it xD

I haven't been very active in these new forums at all, and honestly that's probably why I didn't even notice until now, it's probably just one of those "meh" things for the admins so they scrapped it

Thanks for the info

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
The old forum also happened to exist in a very turbulent time when Studio was fresh on the horizon (and unstable as heck), GM6 was slowly fading out of favor as later versions added more and more features and QoL improvements, GM7 had licensing issues (eventually rendering its full version impossible both to purchase AND use) and GM8 had been around for quite some time, improving further on GM7's QoL changes and being close to Studio in functionality. With four concurrent versions that all were pretty widespread in use (and many power-users running more than one!), it made more sense to make a statement about which camp you were in. These days, everybody either uses GMS2 or is some mix of pirate or dinosaur.