Dialogue Sound Effects

R

Rockit381

I've got a text engine set up similar to that of Shaun's, and I'm having trouble establishing a sound effect that plays whenever a new letter is shown. Every time I try to incorporate sound to text, the sound keeps playing every step and I don't know how to fix it. Does anyone have a simple solution to this problem because apparently I don't know how to figure it out myself. I've been using Game Maker for almost a year now so none of this stuff is new to me, but for some reason I can't figure this one out. I've searched and searched for a solution but I couldn't find anything useful. Any and all help is greatly appreciated, thank you!

W

whale_cancer

I've got a text engine set up similar to that of Shaun's, and I'm having trouble establishing a sound effect that plays whenever a new letter is shown. Every time I try to incorporate sound to text, the sound keeps playing every step and I don't know how to fix it. Does anyone have a simple solution to this problem because apparently I don't know how to figure it out myself. I've been using Game Maker for almost a year now so none of this stuff is new to me, but for some reason I can't figure this one out. I've searched and searched for a solution but I couldn't find anything useful. Any and all help is greatly appreciated, thank you!
Not familiar with Shaun's system, but if a new character gets drawn every alarm event I use...
Code:
if !audio_is_playing(sound_talk){
audio_play_sound(sound_talk, 1, 0);}