1. Hey! Guest! The 33rd GMC Jam will take place between May 23rd, 12:00 UTC (Friday noon) and May 27th, 12:00 UTC (Monday noon). Why not join in! Click here to find out more!
    Dismiss Notice

Asset - Extension Dialog Module (for Windows, macOS, and Ubuntu)

Discussion in 'Marketplace' started by Samuel Venable, Mar 14, 2018.

1. Samuel Venable

Samuel Venable Time Killer

Version 8.2.0 Released!

Just released the Linux re-write, added new functions, and updated both the extension and demo executable uploads on both stores.

Here's what's new:
    • show_message_cancelable(str) same as show_message() but has a cancel button.
    • show_question_cancelable(str) same as show_question() but has a cancel button.
    • show_attempt(str) shows a special type of error message, that unlike show_error(), it does not provide a way to abort the application. Instead, it has a 'Retry' and a 'Cancel' button.
    • message_get_caption() returns a custom message caption that was previously set by the developer, if one was set. Otherwise, it will return an empty string.
    • message_set_caption(str) sets a custom message caption for the message, question, attempt, error, and input, and hidden input dialogs. Set str to an empty string to restore the default value, which is either the game window title, game executable name, or "Error" depending on the dialog type and platform in use.

Button returned values:
    • 'X' close button may vary in return value.
    • 'Abort' aborts the app; no return value.
    • 'OK' and 'Yes' return 1.
    • 'No' and 'Retry' return 0.
    • 'Cancel' and 'Ignore' return -1.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
  2. Samuel Venable

Now available for $3.99 USD.

3. Samuel Venable

Hey y'all! Localization features are going to be in the works soon as the next top priority.

New functions planned:
    • string l10n_get_language() returns the current language in use for dialog localization.
    • real l10n_set_language(string lang) sets the current language to use for dialog localization. Returns 1 on success and zero on failure. It will only fail if the lang argument specifies a misspelled or unsupported language string.
    Supported languages:
    • "lang_english_us"
    • "lang_english_uk"
    • "lang_spanish"
    • "lang_german"
    • "lang_portuguese"
    • "lang_chinese"
    • "lang_japanese"
    • "lang_russian"
    • "lang_ukrainian"
    And I think that's a good starting point for now. I'm opened to suggestions if your preferred language(s) to support are not listed here.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
  4. Samuel Venable

Here's some important information that I forgot to address previously with asset's description.

After showing a dialog you must clear the keyboard and mouse state since GameMaker Studio 2 doesn't do that on its own:
    Code:
    keyboard_clear(keyboard_lastkey);
    mouse_clear(mouse_lastbutton);

5. Samuel Venable

I discovered a bug with the color picker dialog on Mac that I'm really surprised I haven't discovered sooner. Pressing the escape key will close the dialog, but the game window will remain frozen in a modal state, as if the dialog is still there. I haven't looked at my code for this in a while, but I'm pretty sure I know what the issue is and I'll have it sorted out most likely before the end of tomorrow. I have several people requesting me to make extensions for them and I really need to deliver on that as my next priority after I get this fixed. I would have gotten these things done a lot sooner if I weren't so busy these past couple days so I apologize.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
  6. Samuel Venable

I fixed the bug mentioned in my previous comment with the Mac color picker functions. The update on all sites is now publicly available.

7. Samuel Venable

It was brought to my attention that the latest K Desktop Environment is completey broken, so if you are using KDialog on Linux I strongly recommend switching to Zenity until the next KDE update that should hopefully address those issues is released. Note this is not a bug with my extension or KDialog but rather all of KDE. KDE developers are working hard to get everything working and back to normal again so please stay tuned to this topic, and I will let everyone know when I discover that update has arrived.