Discussion Developing Passion for art projects.

Landonbay

A while back, I posted asking about Staying Motivated. But a new problem came to mind. I do not think my problem is motivation. I think it is passion.

While I have passion to play games I envisioned, I dont have passion to do it. Mostly because my passions and skills are elsewhere.

A wise word told to me was: "If would want to do something, you need to find passion to do it."
So what can I do to awaken passions? So I can find a way to turn my immaginations and ideas into reality?

Because so far, the only "passion" I learned was writing a "gameplan" (Taking elements of a business plan, and converting it into how I want to plan a game, what the story is about, etc.)

D

Dragoen_Mage

I think you are using an incomplete understanding of passion.

While I have passion to play games I envisioned, I dont have passion to do it. Mostly because my passions and skills are elsewhere
Rewritten:

While I would like to play games I envision, I dont like to make those games. Mostly becuase my interests and skills are elsewhere.

Someone who is passionate about cars likes cars, but they also like many other things related to cars. They most likely like driving cars, going to car shows, going to car auctions, ect. They dont necessarily have a passion for each part, but they do for the whole. Another person could have a passion for driving cars, but find car shows and auctions tedious and boring, but like views from scenic viewpoints. You can have a passion for something without liking the totality of things related to it.

It sounds like you need to reframe how you are thinking about your project. Ask, what do i like about the things I do already? Then ask, how are the tasks involved in completing my project similar to and different from the things I like.

pixeltroid

The thing about "passion" and "motivation" is that they help only when the project is in it's conceptual form a.k.a the "fun" part of the game development. But they start to disappear once the actual HARD work begins. Or when you find yourself working without support or having to deal with tough family or work situations.

But if you REALLY want to get something done, forget passion and motivation or any kind of fluffy feelings. You need ROCK-SOLID DISCIPLINE, LASER FOCUS and an IRON WILL.