• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

GameMaker Develop a question and answer game?

D

Diego898

I do not ask them to tell me how to make the game step by step, I just want to know how to start developing one, that it is like the game asked, my biggest confusion is about the answers and the questions, they could give me an idea of how I could design that system, or somewhere where you can learn more about this topic. Thank you

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
At the core of these types of games lies the comparison of player input and pre-defined correct answers. You may be able to quickly get a prototype of this running via the get_string function. Note that this function is for debugging purposes only and you should quickly move on to a more solid solution once you got the hang of how to handle checking whether the answer is correct, such as custom input handling via keyboard_string.

TailBit

I made a text file with a lot of strings, build up like this:
question|correct_answer|wrong|wrong|wrong| .. and so on

I would load and separate each string into array or list ..

then selected a random question among them and put all the wrong answers in a ds_list, shuffle it, then remove the top one til there is only 3, then add the correct answer and shuffle them..

note that if it is :
GML:
que[index,0] = "shrek is";
que[index,1] = "life";
que[index,2] = "troll";
que[index,3] = "king";
que[index,4] = "onion";
Then I would add the number and not the strings into the list

when the numbers have been selected then I would make buttons, give it the number and the string

and when you press the button then you just check if its number==1 .. then you know it is correct.