Devblogs?

W

whale_cancer

Hi folks!

I just wanted to ask some questions about devblogs. Since I am now past the initial phases of my project and I am producing tangible results, I want to start to document them and use them to build up an interest in my game. To that end, a devblog seems like a good idea!

So, some questions, in three separate realms...

Are devblogs even a good idea? Do they generate interest?

Where is a good place to host a devblog?

What makes a devblog good? What are some good examples of devblogs?

A

Aura

It really depends on how intriguing the development of your game is. I won't suggest keeping a devlog for a small-scale project personally, unless you have a fixed audience of readers. The first thing that you should care about is creating some hype for your game, or the idea of generating interest through a devlog is going to fall apart since nobody would read it.

The place where you can get predicted reads. I won't suggest keeping it on your own blog (without advocating it) if you're just starting; but that might be an option for you later.

Genetix

Absolutely important - look at the creator of Stardew Valley, he built up a massive following for his game by blogging updates and changes to the game on his website for a few years. That game released on Steam and did extremely well (worth millions) - People like to see the progress of a game and follow it. I would share it everywhere you can find people that will listen (without being annoying).

The definitely are a good idea.
Depending upon what type of devblog you want to do, you can host them in different places. Tom Francis (the guy behind Gunpoint and Heat Signature) is doing a lot of his on Youtube as video blogs that are about 10-15 minutes long.
I have found that you can also set up one on GameJolt very easily (which I have started on this now). This allows you to keep everything for your game in one place - set up your game as a DevLog only and start blogging it, and then upload your game and switch the setup to say that it is released and then everyone can get to it (and I think they can still see all your blog posts too).

I won't suggest keeping it on your own blog (without advocating it) if you're just starting
Totally agree on this. The blog for my first game was on my own website and it basically never got any attention.