• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Windows Detecting whose computer the game is running on.

C

Chippy

Hello. The game that I am working on is getting pretty big I want to have some friends test it out for me. Is there a way I can check the username of the computer the game is running on so that I can make it so that only they can play the game?

RangerX

The username of the computer does nothing in the fact your game will play or not.
The computer needs to use the operating system your game is compiled for, that's all. It also need to meet GameMaker minimum requirements which very low anyways.

C

Chippy

The username of the computer does nothing in the fact your game will play or not.
The computer needs to use the operating system your game is compiled for, that's all. It also need to meet GameMaker minimum requirements which very low anyways.
I am not asking if they will be able to run it. I would like to know a way to make it so that only they can open the game. If someone else got the download it would like to make it so that the person couldn't run the game.

C

Chim

Hello there,

i don't got the answer but an opinion.
The Username of the PC can change very fast, it's not a good protection.
Try to read out the Harddisk Serial Number oder the MAC Adress from the PC.

It's also possible to fake that with some knowledge but for "only" Gamers, it should help you more, to keep it protected.

Bingdom

Googledom
If you know for sure they got win7 or higher (maybe?) you can perform a check by using
Code:
if directory_exists(C:\Users\<username>)
When it returns false, you delete all of your game instances.
But be careful as directories can vary with different Windows OS.

C

Chippy

If you know for sure they got win7 or higher (maybe?) you can perform a check by using
Code:
if directory_exists(C:\Users\<username>)
When it returns false, you delete all of your game instances.
But be careful as directories can vary with different Windows OS.
Thanks but when I try this it does not detect that the file exists even thought I checked the directory.
Would gamemaker being sandboxed mess this up?