1. Hey! Guest! The 36th GMC Jam will take place between February 27th, 12:00 UTC - March 2nd, 12:00 UTC. Why not join in! Click here to find out more!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. NOTICE: We will be applying a Xenforo update on Tuesday 25th of February. This means that from approximately 10:00 to 14:00 BST the forums will be offline (or possibly longer). Sorry for the inconvenience! Official Announcement here.

GMS 2 Detect if the game is cracked

Discussion in 'Programming' started by Suzaku, Jan 20, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Suzaku

Suzaku Member

I wonder if there is some code or something that will let me know if the user is executing a cracked version of my game, so I can prepare some "special" stuff for that kind of user. Is that possible for steam games?

2. TailBit

TailBit Member

Cracked games don't get updated anymore, so you could just compare version numbers.. ofc you would need the player to allow the connection to do that, and also update main game after cracked version is discovered.

Check if the game is listed in installed programs?

Suzaku likes this.
  3. rIKmAN

rIKmAN Member

I believe @Seabass (The Human) had some copy protection in Don't Sink which he said worked quite well, he may even have been licencing his library but maybe he could offer some advice?

Suzaku likes this.
  4. Seabass (The Human)

Seabass (The Human) Member

I do have DRM that I license to people on a case by case basis. It relies on the Steam client but works in both online/offline mode and as of today has not been cracked. Message me if you're interested.

Amon and rIKmAN like this.