• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows Detect controller type for correct button prompts

COWCAT

What is the current best way to detect a controller type?
I would like to display button prompts automatically according to the type of controller.

- gamepad_get_description(gamepadID) is unreliable. When ran from Steam, it always returns "Xinput Standard Controller" - even for a PS4 or another direct Input controller.
- Any way to get the information directly from Steam? (when launched from Steam, obviously) It seems Steam Input HAS that info but I can't see any GameMaker function to retrieve it.

I know I can add an option to change button prompts (and probably will anyway) but the truth is, most players won't bother - and they shouldn't HAVE to.

COWCAT

Well, that doesn't work for Steam - everything is detected as "Xinput controller" or something like that.
So I gave up on the idea and gave an option (in the... options) to the players instead.