• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE Desktop vs Mobile

E

Emberex

I didn't know where to put this, so hopefully this is right. I want to buy GameMaker Studio 2 and in the future make a few mobile games too. If I buy the $200 mobile version, does that still allow me to make desktop games, or do I have to buy them separate?

Thanks!

FoxyOfJungle

Kazan Games
You need to purchase separate licenses for each platform you use.
Game Maker Studio 2 is one of the most incredible engines out there and you will love it and not regret it, and it is very easy to learn how to use it.

FoxyOfJungle

Kazan Games
It is not "just", the Mobile platform is one of the most popular and most used today, a large part of the world population has a cell phone, so it is an investment. You will also be contributing to the developers for the hard work they have had and have to do the program. The Mobile license comes with iOS and Android, I think it's worth it.

E

Emberex

It is not "just", the Mobile platform is one of the most popular and most used today, a large part of the world population has a cell phone, so it is an investment. You will also be contributing to the developers for the hard work they have had and have to do the program. The Mobile license comes with iOS and Android, I think it's worth it.
That's $300 for desktop and mobile together, for nearly the same features. Mobile is desktop with extra additions

rIKmAN

That's $300 for desktop and mobile together, for nearly the same features. Mobile is desktop with extra additions
Nobody is forcing you to buy it if you don't want to, and it's iOS and Android together so it works out to $100 each.

Given the amount of API changes and hoops Apple and Google make you jump through to be compliant for store release $100 per platform is pretty reasonable considering the continued work that is needed to keep the exports up to date and compliant.

Also the export licences are the least of your worries if you want to release on the stores.

You'll need a $99 dev licence from Apple (per year), $30 for a Google dev account (one time fee).
Then you'll need a Mac for Apple development, which I'm not sure of the current prices of but it's at least in the hundreds of dollars for the lowest viable Macbook which supports an OS and version of xCode Apple will accept.

Then on top of that you will ideally have a range of mobile devices including both phones and tablets (old and new) to test your game on before release to make sure it works properly and performs well on all device hardware and aspect ratios.

At that point the $100 for each mobile export isn't the main concern.

E

Emberex

Nobody is forcing you to buy it if you don't want to, and it's iOS and Android together so it works out to $100 each.

Given the amount of API changes and hoops Apple and Google make you jump through to be compliant for store release $100 per platform is pretty reasonable considering the continued work that is needed to keep the exports up to date and compliant.

Also the export licences are the least of your worries if you want to release on the stores.

You'll need a $99 dev licence from Apple (per year), $30 for a Google dev account (one time fee).
Then you'll need a Mac for Apple development, which I'm not sure of the current prices of but it's at least in the hundreds of dollars for the lowest viable Macbook which supports an OS and version of xCode Apple will accept.

Then on top of that you will ideally have a range of mobile devices including both phones and tablets (old and new) to test your game on before release to make sure it works properly and performs well on all device hardware and aspect ratios.

At that point the $100 for each mobile export isn't the main concern.
Thank you, just the reply I needed. I understand now and believe I will get the desktop version until I learn more of GameMaker Studio 2.