• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Desktop Gaming Issue

J

Jesse Jaramillo

Hey guys. Bought a 900$ desktop from cyberpower gaming. It works very well and can play fallout 4 on max settings with no lag.
I have however been experiencing one issue that is annoying me consistantly.
When playing 3D (has not happened to any 2D games yet) my screen will at random points, flicker over to full black, flicker back to the game, all sounds stutter, then it minimizes and a few seconds later reopens with the game playing as normal.
On some occasions this will happen 2 times in a row (within the span of 30 seconds)
and sometimes it does not happen for hours.
Someone suggested it was my RAM, which could be the issue as its the only thing i dont have the ability to verify myself.
My PC specs are as follows:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AMD FX6300 6-Core processor with 3.5Ghz (not overclocked, and i dont do overclocking)
16GB Ram (only 7.96GB usable though for some reason)
64 bit Windows 10 OS
Graphics Card is Radeon RX470 with 8171MB memory available, 4096MB dedicated.
Driver date is 11/21/16 version 21.19.137.514
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I also know the issue is not overheating because my temperature hovers around 29 celsius when not playing games, and has so far at most risen to 59 celsius after an hour of playing counter strike global offensive. (probably goes higher when playing fallout, have not tested fallout since i tried fixing this.)

Should also note i have liquid cooling of some sort, not really sure about it but i have black tubes in my rig that i cant see through and im not sure if theres anything in them as i couldnt find an access valve anywhere. There is a radiator which leads me to believe it is liquid cooled some how (just the motherboard). Thought i might have to put coolant in for the rig but couldnt figure out how, runs without me doing anything to it though.

Contacted cyberpower gaming a few times via email and they suggest sending in to be looked at, but that means i cant use my computer for at least a week, which id rather not do unless i have to.
I also just cleaned all the dust out today and the issue still happens. Any thoughts?

Mercerenies

If you have 16 GB but only 7.96 is usable, you either have a nasty virus or have been hugely scammed. If I were you, I would run a thorough antivirus scan and then pry open the side of my computer and personally count the RAM sticks that are in it. That's really not something that's supposed to happen.

Jabbers

I remember having the same issue once before. Made it impossible to play online games.

I can't remember what the solution was, but I too had a bad stick of RAM in my machine that had to be replaced (but I am not sure if it was related).

This could be consistent with the RAM stick not showing up correctly. Sounds like only one 8GB stick is being detected properly.

JackTurbo

Deffo something fishy going on with your ram. I'd remove and refit them and then do a ram test. Might have a bad stick.

Also worth updating your gfx drivers to latest or reinstalling if they are already the latest.

J

Jesse Jaramillo

Realized i had placed my second 8GB ram stick into the wrong slot, moved it and my computer now shows 16GB properly. Hopefully the crashing issue is gone too but i dont have time to test it right now. Thanks for the input guys!