• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Design Designing platformer puzzles

F

fxokz

I just hit a massive game designers block.......

I got to a point in my game where i want to make the player actually feel engaged in the game rather than making the player just speed run the whole game blindfolded..

The first thing that came to mind was making a new type of block that a player must shoot in order to jump on it and gain access to new areas. the block would have a timer in which it will become deactivated and will need to be shot again. Its somewhat of a cool mechanic but as it is right now it just feels like more like useless variation (which has been a HUGE issue for me in almost every game i have made) How can i make the player have fun through simple yet interesting puzzles? I thought maybe the player has to shoot multiple blocks in a set period of time in order to open up a door but that also really isnt a puzzle now is it?

ALSO another problem that arises with my concept so far is that there is minimal flexibility. What i mean is, if you take a close look at the gif i posted thats about the only thing i can do with the blocks... if i place them side by side i can only shoot the one on either edge.. There isnt much to build upon.

My current concept:

Im not asking for a solution.. Im asking where i could gain inspiration from, are there any videos that i could perhaps watch, is there any advice you could share maybe? Im sure im not the only one who can benefit from this topic

Last edited:
D

Dr Greb

Umm, I know you're asking ME for inspiration, but infact I've taken it from you. I think I'm going to steal this idea for my own game ;) But here's a small trade off. I'm going to have a hookshot, or worms rope mechanic in my game, and I'll be shooting the blocks with a bow, then hooking onto the block before it's too late. XD I'm ages away from making a hook in my game though.

Another thing, is the blocks could absorb the shot, wait 5 seconds and shoot it back, so you better be sure you're out of the way. Also use the mechanic to shoot monsters from angles you can't reach.

or even shoot the blocks to block passage of an enemy coming to get you

G

gamedev4life

you can use the ol' "do this to get this item/powerup to overcome the next obstacle/puzzle; use this item/power up to get that item/powerup to overcome the next obstacle/puzzle" design. if nothing else start with that and go from there.

for example, in your game you start with that gif, and make it so that if done correctly/solved the player get the ability to shoot boxes farther away, or a higher jump etc., then the player has to use that new ability to pass the next level, kind of thing

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
First of all, it seems like you're designing your puzzle elements from the wrong direction - you first came up with the timed blocks, and THEN tried coming up with puzzles using them. That's not as efficient as coming up with some puzzle idea (in your case, that would be something like "force the player to shoot and jump with precise timing under pressure"), and then figuring out a gameplay element that makes the puzzle possible to do. More interesting ideas can offer more interesting puzzle elements.

Secondly, try to come up with variations of the idea to keep it fresh. Here's a few I could come up with:
  • Make the player able to glide down and walljump from blocks, or maybe interact with them in other ways. Maybe have pushable blocks that can only trigger switches and stuff (and being pushed) when solid, letting you do things like passing through a block to push it from the other direction, or turning a switch on and off at will by shooing a block that's on it.
  • Have the blocks trigger all directly adjacent blocks, or all blocks of the same color when being shot, or maybe not just be square. Triggering large areas to solidify with a single shot could make some puzzles more interesting.
  • Make (some) blocks toggle states each time they're hit, so that the player must be careful not to hit the wrong block when trying to set up stuff.
  • Give the player other ways to shoot than straight left/right, so they can trigger the blocks from other directions. For instance, they have to make a bridge of blocks solid to cross a gap, and they can't do that until they find the gun that shoots downwards.
  • Have blocks with different time limits so you need to trigger them in the right order to make it across.
  • Have stuff that forces a block to revert to its nonsolid state when they hit one... enemy bullets, enemies themselves, things that move around on paths, other blocks that explode when shot...
  • Have the blocks themselves follow paths and only interact with certain other objects when solid. For instance you might have a puzzle about a block pushing a switch or other item off a ledge that requires you to make it solid at just the right time.

F

fxokz

First of all, it seems like you're designing your puzzle elements from the wrong direction - you first came up with the timed blocks, and THEN tried coming up with puzzles using them. That's not as efficient as coming up with some puzzle idea (in your case, that would be something like "force the player to shoot and jump with precise timing under pressure"), and then figuring out a gameplay element that makes the puzzle possible to do. More interesting ideas can offer more interesting puzzle elements.

Secondly, try to come up with variations of the idea to keep it fresh. Here's a few I could come up with:
  • Make the player able to glide down and walljump from blocks, or maybe interact with them in other ways. Maybe have pushable blocks that can only trigger switches and stuff (and being pushed) when solid, letting you do things like passing through a block to push it from the other direction, or turning a switch on and off at will by shooing a block that's on it.
  • Have the blocks trigger all directly adjacent blocks, or all blocks of the same color when being shot, or maybe not just be square. Triggering large areas to solidify with a single shot could make some puzzles more interesting.
  • Make (some) blocks toggle states each time they're hit, so that the player must be careful not to hit the wrong block when trying to set up stuff.
  • Give the player other ways to shoot than straight left/right, so they can trigger the blocks from other directions. For instance, they have to make a bridge of blocks solid to cross a gap, and they can't do that until they find the gun that shoots downwards.
  • Have blocks with different time limits so you need to trigger them in the right order to make it across.
  • Have stuff that forces a block to revert to its nonsolid state when they hit one... enemy bullets, enemies themselves, things that move around on paths, other blocks that explode when shot...
  • Have the blocks themselves follow paths and only interact with certain other objects when solid. For instance you might have a puzzle about a block pushing a switch or other item off a ledge that requires you to make it solid at just the right time.
thank you for helping me yal. i have multiple ideas from which i could choose from now :)

Reactions: Yal