Designing a pokemon game

K

Kahvana

Hello GMC!,

After playing Pokemon Uranium and Insurgence, I started googling to see what others made and thought about how they would design their own pokemon game.

After thinking alot, I wanted to design (not develop *yet*, as it woudn't be realistic to program as a lonely programmer xD). my own pokemon game, and I would love to hear your opinion!.

For what I've got so far (ideas):
- The game takes place in the Holon region (not much details about the region has been revealed, and was a TCG region only. Thus, would have much room for creativity).
- Mobile phone as PokeGear (can't remember that someone has done this before), with apps overview. It has an app for the pokedex, pokemon team overview, saving & loading, messages, pokemon box system, items, clock etc.
- GEN 1 pokemon only (for now), then inplement GEN 2, and then GEN 3, and at last Delta Species.
- Dialgue box system upgrade -> you can ask some characters multiple questions, and might respond different due your stats (for example, if you carry 6 pokemon, they would challange you, but they woudn't if you had 5 with you).
- Inplementing Delta Species (see this and this)
- Multiple character selection (multiple males / females / potatos)
- Return of the hidden hidouts! :D (pokemon ruby!)
- If possible, multiple character clothing?.
- Moddable (trough INI files, exposed image & audio files, etc).
- Target playerbase: 7+
- Artstyle: FRLG like 2D (15 bit color palette).

[EDITS}
- Need to implement Missingno.

Last edited:
M

Misu

Here are my ideas for a pokemon game (feel free to steal them):

- Game takes place in Kanto, but also Johto, and all the other existent regions from all previous pokemon games plus 400 more regions included.
-Game comes with all the existent pokemon gen, including the ones not existent yet (3000 pokemons)
-Pokemons has no limit up to what level they can reach. In fact 2gi%-5& can be a level as well.
-The player can use a device call "pokemon player" which is also a dude who is playing another pokemon game which also includes another pokemon player to use within his game. Oh in his version, it also contains another pokemon player, and it goes on like that.
-The game plays all the existent pokemon background musics at once abd also the non-existent ones.
-Missingno is real.

L

Law

- Game takes place in Kanto, but also Johto, and all the other existent regions from all previous pokemon games plus 400 more regions included.
-Game comes with all the existent pokemon gen, including the ones not existent yet (3000 pokemons)
-Pokemons has no limit up to what level they can reach. In fact 2gi%-5& can be a level as well.
-The player can use a device call "pokemon player" which is also a dude who is playing another pokemon game which also includes another pokemon player to use within his game. Oh in his version, it also contains another pokemon player, and it goes on like that.
-The game plays all the existent pokemon background musics at once abd also the non-existent ones.
-Missingno is real.
And make it in a week.

Gamer (ex-Cantavanda)

〜Flower Prince〜
i got an idea

fast food restaurants where you can buy CHEEZBURGERs for U and u're pokémons just like in EARTHBOUND for the SNES
an option to customize ure character but also to date other trainers so you can marry and have a relationship and buy a house together, also a "mature mode" for unlockable cutscenes BUT ONLY AFTER THE MARRIAGE like you could make it also a visual novel style where you can reply to people and get a karma or reputation system like in fallout and if you have a bad karma you can join da EVIL team and you can chose betwen team galacitc or flare or rocket or magma or aqua and try to destroy da wrold with the power of the evil legendary pokémon but then Arceus gets really angry and in the final battle in the evil storyline you have to fight with your 6 evil legendary pokémon against 6 good legendary pokémon with as final pokémon arceus and all pokémons in that battle are level 100 with their signature moves but arceus is level 150 which will be super hard but you wont be able to catch any of the pokeomn in that last battle cuz thats gay, also you could ad a first person 3D battle thingy as a bonus game in the champion arena where you can play as a pokémon and you could add arena shooter type of levels like quaker or D00m with online mutliplayer and different gamemodes, also you can do contests with all the 3000 pokemon as misu mentioned above which is not first person though more like the contests in diamond y perla, and also pokémon musicals like in pokemon black and white would be very cool but then in virtual reality headsat attatched for extra fun in it and also you should have a lets play mode where you can record your gameplay via the game and upload it oh YouTueb and you get a secret achievement if one o fthese gets 10K views oh yes that reminds me steam achievements would be very cool but some really hard 1s 2 like catch all 3000 pokemons or defeat every trainer 10 times that would be cool, what dya think?

K

Kahvana

-Missingno is real.
Adding missingno! xD.

i got an idea

fast food restaurants where you can buy CHEEZBURGERs for U and u're pokémons just like in EARTHBOUND for the SNES
an option to customize ure character but also to date other trainers so you can marry and have a relationship and buy a house together, also a "mature mode" for unlockable cutscenes BUT ONLY AFTER THE MARRIAGE like you could make it also a visual novel style where you can reply to people and get a karma or reputation system like in fallout and if you have a bad karma you can join da EVIL team and you can chose betwen team galacitc or flare or rocket or magma or aqua and try to destroy da wrold with the power of the evil legendary pokémon but then Arceus gets really angry and in the final battle in the evil storyline you have to fight with your 6 evil legendary pokémon against 6 good legendary pokémon with as final pokémon arceus and all pokémons in that battle are level 100 with their signature moves but arceus is level 150 which will be super hard but you wont be able to catch any of the pokeomn in that last battle cuz thats gay, also you could ad a first person 3D battle thingy as a bonus game in the champion arena where you can play as a pokémon and you could add arena shooter type of levels like quaker or D00m with online mutliplayer and different gamemodes, also you can do contests with all the 3000 pokemon as misu mentioned above which is not first person though more like the contests in diamond y perla, and also pokémon musicals like in pokemon black and white would be very cool but then in virtual reality headsat attatched for extra fun in it and also you should have a lets play mode where you can record your gameplay via the game and upload it oh YouTueb and you get a secret achievement if one o fthese gets 10K views oh yes that reminds me steam achievements would be very cool but some really hard 1s 2 like catch all 3000 pokemons or defeat every trainer 10 times that would be cool, what dya think?
Quite... overwhelming?. Especially that you'll need a game design cource xP. Maybe I should classify that the playerbase I target is 7+, and that this won't be a good game for virtual reality, as a typical pokemon game is 2D (mainly because of development time and expirience with assets creation). Still, thanks for taking your time to respond, its appriciated n.n.

Last edited:
M

McWolke

better do it with another name and other monsters and stuff. why would you even want to waste your time just to let nintendo take down all your work? just give them different names and designs and keep the system and your ideas and release it as your own game.

P

Paolo Mazzon

After thinking alot, I wanted to design (not develop *yet*, as it woudn't be realistic to program as a lonely programmer xD). my own pokemon game, and I would love to hear your opinion!.
If you plan the vast majority of things beforehand, are exceptional, with GM/GML, and have great organizational skills (I'm not talking about 1 comment every 30 lines of code, I mean like documentation in the code), you could probably pull it off given a while.

Most of those ideas are pretty good, but I don't think the smartphone idea is really too great. The reason I say that is because it's largely just a gimmick that adds nothing to the game itself yet will definitely cost massive amounts of time to develop unless you are an expert in both Android and iOS (Or a cross platform library) and server management since you will need to transfer saves somehow.

better do it with another name and other monsters and stuff. why would you even want to waste your time just to let nintendo take down all your work? just give them different names and designs and keep the system and your ideas and release it as your own game.
I also agree with this. Generally, if you're going to make a fan game, make it your own. Oceanhorn: Monster of Uncharted Seas is quite clearly paying respects to Wind Waker/Phantom Hourglass but instead of just remaking them, the devs decided to make their own game both saving themselves the headache that is Nintendo while at the same time being able to call the game theirs.

D

Deleted member 467

Well, I was developing a Pokemon Game Maker so here's my experience with that...

Battles - IMO one of the more difficult things to implement. What Gen battle formulas are you going to use? Are you going to use the Gen 4 physical/special split? Are you going to allow held items to be used? Point is, there is a lot of stuff going in a simple turn based battle system.

Over world: Fairly easy so long as you have a system to keep track of all the events, weather, time, and other stuff.

Party: Could be easy or complex. Depends on how you approach it.

K

Kahvana

Great ideas - I dare to say, go ahead and try to develop it - a lone developer can do some pretty amazing things when they find a project that they love.
Yjank you for those kind words!.
If I had the time... xD.

Well, I was developing a Pokemon Game Maker so here's my experience with that...

Battles - IMO one of the more difficult things to implement. What Gen battle formulas are you going to use? Are you going to use the Gen 4 physical/special split? Are you going to allow held items to be used? Point is, there is a lot of stuff going in a simple turn based battle system.

Over world: Fairly easy so long as you have a system to keep track of all the events, weather, time, and other stuff.

Party: Could be easy or complex. Depends on how you approach it.
Thanks for your tips!. I think that battles will be the hardest part to inplement, as I don't plan to program network connectivity. The Gen with the most data available, which O think is Gen 1 (hopefully there is enough data about FR/LG). If the amount of available data is the same for GEN 3, I;ll choose Gen 3 over Gen 1. Nope, Gen 1 or 3. Nope, would be a pain to write the trigger events for berries and such. Overworld is indeed not that hard :3.

If you plan the vast majority of things beforehand, are exceptional, with GM/GML, and have great organizational skills (I'm not talking about 1 comment every 30 lines of code, I mean like documentation in the code), you could probably pull it off given a while.
That's not my main concern if I would program it. I love commenting my code, writing game design documents, technical documents, art guides, etc. Besides, I structure my code and use folders to keep things organized. I also load most of my resources externally rather than from the GM project (in GM8, and its faster in runtime for GM8). The biggest problem will be free time, as I don't have much time to spend in normal schoolweeks (game development student). Maybe I should ask people to co-operate IF I where develop this game?.

Most of those ideas are pretty good, but I don't think the smartphone idea is really too great. The reason I say that is because it's largely just a gimmick that adds nothing to the game itself yet will definitely cost massive amounts of time to develop unless you are an expert in both Android and iOS (Or a cross platform library) and server management since you will need to transfer saves somehow.
With smartphone, I mean a ingame smartphone, not a real smartphone ;).

I also agree with this. Generally, if you're going to make a fan game, make it your own. Oceanhorn: Monster of Uncharted Seas is quite clearly paying respects to Wind Waker/Phantom Hourglass but instead of just remaking them, the devs decided to make their own game both saving themselves the headache that is Nintendo while at the same time being able to call the game theirs.
Well, its cool to see a game to be played by others!, however I would program it for getting experience and the fun. And to be honest, I lack the ability to come up with something creative which yet meets my high requirements. Since this is nothing more than a concept, its always open for suggestions!.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 467

Now that I'm not on mobile I can type better and type more stuff quicker. I kinda like some of the concepts you want to do, however - Game Maker doesn't really have a Pokemon Essentials kit like RPG Maker does. But, I would be willing to help you out by letting you see some of the source to my abandoned/postponed Pokemon Game Maker project. I think I was doing pseudo Gen 4/5/6 mechanics but still - the theory behind the code you should be able to use however you wish. And all the attack files I made (and stopped doing because of how many I had to do) ... That should help out quite a bit. If you ever do happen to do this project and have some questions or need help with anything feel free to PM me.

P

Paolo Mazzon

I also load most of my resources externally rather than from the GM project (in GM8, and its faster in runtime for GM8).
I don't know if it's more efficient or not, but I highly recommend you use Studio. You can easily get around the texture page problem with dynamic resources by dropping them all onto a surface and displaying parts of the surface, but disregarding that, Studio is vastly superior to GM8 in many ways. First off, cross platform. If you plan on having non-Windows users play, GM8 is not going to work. Two other major problems with GM8 compared to Studio is that GM8 games are easily decompiled and much slower than Studio.

M

Meowmere

Pokemon died as soon as the Trendy Selfie people Trended Pokemon Go and made it gross. RIP Nintendo. Not buying another nintendo game again.

K

Kahvana

Now that I'm not on mobile I can type better and type more stuff quicker. I kinda like some of the concepts you want to do, however - Game Maker doesn't really have a Pokemon Essentials kit like RPG Maker does. But, I would be willing to help you out by letting you see some of the source to my abandoned/postponed Pokemon Game Maker project. I think I was doing pseudo Gen 4/5/6 mechanics but still - the theory behind the code you should be able to use however you wish. And all the attack files I made (and stopped doing because of how many I had to do) ... That should help out quite a bit. If you ever do happen to do this project and have some questions or need help with anything feel free to PM me.
Sadly thats true, but luckily I've got the olf GMC forum to get some basic ideas from there x3. Thanks for the kind offer, but I don't have time now to look into it. Is it alright if I look into it next week? (if thats alright with you ofc :) ). I will!, probably gonna need it xD.

I don't know if it's more efficient or not, but I highly recommend you use Studio. You can easily get around the texture page problem with dynamic resources by dropping them all onto a surface and displaying parts of the surface, but disregarding that, Studio is vastly superior to GM8 in many ways. First off, cross platform. If you plan on having non-Windows users play, GM8 is not going to work. Two other major problems with GM8 compared to Studio is that GM8 games are easily decompiled and much slower than Studio.
I've played around with studio (professional) for just a couple of hours, and its indeed superior over game maker 8.0 pro!. Never had the time to mess around alot with it, so might look into that first n.n. Hmmm, sounds like megatextures?, never thought of it myself. Cool idea!. For now, I"ll just stick with windows to keep things easy, and look later into multi-platform. Both speed and decompiling isn't a huge issue (decompiling because no netcode, and speed because its 2d and doesn't require heavy shading).

Pokemon died as soon as the Trendy Selfie people Trended Pokemon Go and made it gross. RIP Nintendo. Not buying another nintendo game again.
Poor you xP.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
I'm with the others on the 'make your own monsters' bandwagon... Sun and Moon are relased in like 3 months and will overshadow your game no matter what you do, and even if they didn't, fangames require a lot less effort than orginal games since you can just use good graphics and music off the internet... especially for big franchises, learning about a fangame instantly makes me get a worse impression of it than something original would give me. Things like Pokémon Etheral Gates that have professional completely custom monsters are pretty cool, but it's kinda hard to support a project like that if chances are it's going to get shut down before it gets complete. Just stick "mon" to your game's name and it should be clear it's a pokemonish game anyway, attracting all the people that would be interested in the fangame to begin with.

Not to mention making your all-new game would let you skip mechanics that are a pain to implement without people complaining they're gone, for instance held items. You could change those for traditional RPG equipment instead, for instance (armor that boosts stats but adds a third type, possibly giving you x8 weaknesses or maybe nullifying a type you're weak against?). There's a lot of cool monster designs around (just google 'fakemon' and check the Images tab), and making sprites for these would give you some nice practice without you having to come up with your own designs. (Not really advocating STEALING designs here, but you'd probably have an easier time getting an OK to use sprites in your game from random DeviantArt users than you'd have bartering with Nintendo... and if you make your own graphics anyway, you can always claim it's a coincidence in the off chance someone would recognize it :p)

upload_2016-8-18_17-19-51.png

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
This is gonna be long, so I'll split it for post length limit reasons.
Some general suggestions on what to change from Pokemon to get yourself an easier time:
  • The stat system might get easier to replace with storing stats instead of computing them at run time based on level, IVs and EVs - you define a monster by its average stat growth per level for all stats and store the monster's actual stats; when a monster is generated, it gets a bunch of random points as well symbolizing that all of them are different... if you feel like adding that.
  • IMO the hardest part of handling monsters is coming up with a good way to handle their learnset (both levelling up and TM compability). In your case, I wouldn't worry too much about finding an EFFICIENT way to handle it, just come up with a way that works. Especially levelling up and learning new moves can be a bit tricky.
  • Combat isn't too hard if you use a state machine approach where the battle controller switches between modes where it handles player input (possibly one mode per menu in the battle), shows animations, chews through the battle order, handles CPU input, and so on. Just plan this out and things should just take a lot of time to make, but relatively easy.
  • For the combat order, I'd use a priority queue sorted by priority*HUGE_NUMBER + user_speed. Using Quick Attack adds 1 priority, using items adds a huge number, but most moves has 0 priority.
  • Held items have WAY too many vastly different effects, so I'd replace them with your own flavor of easier-to-make things. Static RPG armor is my main suggestion here, or maybe remove them altogether, or have them always be consumables that does something once your HP gets low enough.
  • On that note, the Gen3 static abilities also get kinda hard to handle, so being able to use a simple system for those might also help... or remove them completely to get yourself an easier time.
  • You might want to reduce the number of types in your game. Gen1 pokemon had 15 types and was grossly underbalanced (Ghost, Bug and Dragon in particular got the short end of the stick), and if you're not having hundreds of monster ideas already you most likely will run into trouble making all types balanced. I'd try to limit myself to a subset of Gen1 types removing problematic types (e.g. Normal, Fire, Water, Grass, Electric, Rock, Ground, Flying, Fighting, Poison, Psychic, Ice could work well) so that it's not too insurmountable to get a couple of different species for every type.
  • Gen1 made a big mistake where the start of the game had VERY little variety in both monsters and moves making the game really grindy, and especially compared to later generations this makes the game dull and not aged well at all. Don't make that mistake... make sure people picking the 'wrong' starter for the first gym can pick the correct elemental up in the first area, that there's a lot of monsters to choose from (in particular have viable cute (faries, smiling flowers etc) and cool (skeletons, dragons, dinosaurs) monsters alongside each other so that players with different taste can pick something that appeals to them, and DON'T make monsters change from cute to cool or vice versa when they evolve).
  • Actually, the structure of Pokémon games isn't all that appealing to modern gamers either. You might want to let players take on gyms in any order and try to reduce big plot events and stuff like that so it doesn't feel like the only reason you can't go to the next area is that a NPC is standing in the way until you go talk to the right people, and make sure that moves needed to progress to new areas either can be easily forgotten or are actually good in battle. Surf is easily the best HM move ever and is used in occasional PvP builds, but nobody in their right mind would use Cut or Strength that way. Try to have HMs either be optional, handled by key items, or make them really useful battle moves.
  • You might wanna take a leaf outta Dark Souls' book and provide the player with a set number of free healing items (e.g. 5 Potions and an Ether) each time they visit a Pokecenter. A lot of casual players don't consider using items for some reason and it makes the game feel a lot harder than it actually is. Having a set number of free items that refill to their caps every time you heal encourages using them since you've got nothing to lose, but near the end of the game you would consider buying items as well because the free ones run out so quickly and/or are outclassed by paid items.
  • Give the player the option to grind for money and experience indefinitely as well, e.g. by making trainers reset each time you leave an area. (That would also allow you to not having to memorize all trainers' status, making it easier on you!)
  • Design all data management to be as easy on YOU as possible. Adding a new monster or trainer shouldn't be more than a few lines of code, otherwise it'll get too tedious for you to do that on a regular basis. Make 'one-line add scripts' to streamline adding data, see the example below. Note that you can pass arrays as arguments as well, which is what I do with argument6 in this example.
  • upload_2016-8-18_17-50-1.png
  • Make the most complex stuff and/or the stuff you're not sure how to do first so you're sure it works before you start adding content to the game. If things fail spectacularly and you need to scrap the project, this minimizes the amount of work you wasted.

S

Saucedgear

I have a great game idea
  • the game, called ruin and rampage, will involve you going through half the "real" game before a scripted encounter with the legendary leads to a time skip where the world is in ruin. defeating him will lead to the rest of the game.
  • the new Pokemon are the top hat Pokemon topper and the hat stack Pokemon topple. also mealle the meal Pokemon that changes form with a consumable item "magic to-go menu" that you get from a new restaurant
  • all previous specials, the dynamax/gigantamax, z-move, mega evolving which has new moves attached to it, and a new special that turns the battle into a poken tournament like battle, but your opponent fights like a level 0.5 CPU
  • gyms are mansions now. you must get coins from coin houses in the lawn and then explore your way through the gym to the leader
  • this based off the Netherlands btw
  • the left shop has a market with random merchants that you can battle and trade with. they change every hour
there is much, much, MUCH more to explain but i'm lazy. I might write a p.2. be sure to give feedback thanks. but for now, signing off.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
I have a great game idea
  • the game, called ruin and rampage, will involve you going through half the "real" game before a scripted encounter with the legendary leads to a time skip where the world is in ruin. defeating him will lead to the rest of the game.
  • the new Pokemon are the top hat Pokemon topper and the hat stack Pokemon topple. also mealle the meal Pokemon that changes form with a consumable item "magic to-go menu" that you get from a new restaurant
  • all previous specials, the dynamax/gigantamax, z-move, mega evolving which has new moves attached to it, and a new special that turns the battle into a poken tournament like battle, but your opponent fights like a level 0.5 CPU
  • gyms are mansions now. you must get coins from coin houses in the lawn and then explore your way through the gym to the leader
  • this based off the Netherlands btw
  • the left shop has a market with random merchants that you can battle and trade with. they change every hour
there is much, much, MUCH more to explain but i'm lazy. I might write a p.2. be sure to give feedback thanks. but for now, signing off.
I can't tell if this is a lame attempt at a joke or a serious post, and in either case it's a necrobump of a three year old topic, hijacking someone else's topic to brag about your idea. Tsk, tsk. You should know better, at least if you'd read the forum rules.
upload_2019-11-17_0-10-40.png

Some questions.
  • What are the legendaries called? Are they just the top hats?
  • After the world is in ruin, will merchants still randomly change every hour in the pokécenters?
  • How come you only have 1 forum post? Can anybody attest you were not on the forums at the time of the murder?
  • Will the ruined world be a new area or revisting the old towns but they're ruined?
  • Will the people that died in the apocalypse become ghost pokemon?
  • Which new moves will be provided through mega evolution (at least 3 examples?)
  • Did you murder the victim?
  • Since this is based on the netherlands, how much of the world will be flooded?
  • Will Mealle have a vegetarian option?
  • Where were you yesterday at 8PM?
  • How much of the pre-Sword&Shield pokédex will be available?
  • Will the food type be a new type in the elemental system?
  • What is your new region called?
  • Were you familiar with the victim?
  • Will the local variant of Exeggutor be a windmill?
  • Will the local variant of Breloom be a Magic Mushroom?

J

Jwarren123

Here are the following things I am going to make in pokemon quest

-Many varying quest
-It takes place in the real world (But don't worry, there's still pokemon)
-7 (or 11 haven't decided) islands
-new pokemon
-Bruh type pokemon
-Traps!

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
On a serious note, you could be interested in my Monster Collector Engine. You can define most data with a single line of code, and the overworld + box + item + shop + battle system all are premade for you, you just need to stuff your ideas into the game.

Also you didn't answer any of my questions so I'll just assume it was you who murdered Mr.Mime.

B

babydoll

Yal you might be the answer to all my prayers! I only got into coding a week ago (but we're in lockdown, so already made "My First Game" with the tutorial, "My first Platform Game" with the tutorial, and now working on the Complete RPG tutorial!!) But what I really want to do is make my own Pokemon game, had the bug since I played Uranium last month (a very well done game). I'm not even too concerned about Nintendo taking it down, I may not advertise it much but just for my own sense of achievement and productive passing of time during lockdown, also I love the making graphics side of it and already have a lot of ideas (including some new eeveelutions) and graphics ready to go, just need to learn the code.

Was gonna try RPG Maker, but alas my laptop won't run it, (it won't video edit on a decent program either so I'm amazed i haven't snapped it in 2 yet) so I read that GMS was the second best option for designing a Pokemon game... except that there is Pokemon Essentials for RPGM and nothing equivalent for GMS. I may well demo your engine once I have developed enough through tutorial and my own game designing to get to needing all that stuff, just a few questions.

- Is it designed for GMS/work well with GMS?
- How easy would it be to input real Pokemon stats/base stats/IV/EV,movesets/effects of vitamins/encounter rates/catch rates as well as creating some of your own? (I appreciate we're talking fairly time consuming but is it easy enough?
- How easy/would it be possible to have a place for Inverse battle? It was introduced in ORAS and I really liked it, really quite challenging!! So I was hoping to find a place for it in my game, if you didn't know it's when all the type match-ups are completely reversed.
- I assume it's fine for me to add my own music/graphics/sound effects etc?
- I'm a somewhat beginner/intermediate programmer, I'm learning fast and I have a good brain for this kind of thing but at what level is this at? If it's only for advanced coders I may struggle!

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
To answer your questions in order:
  • Yes, it's a GMS2 source file. (Which means it doesn't work with 1.x versions of GMS if that's what you're asking)
  • IVs / EVs already are in the game. The formula is a bit different from Pokémon when calculating stats but you can just plug in the official formula from Bulbapedia if you want 100% accuracy. Same thing with catch rates. Most maths stuff is only defined in one place, so if you can find that one place and change the definition you're pretty much golden.
  • It would be pretty easy to squeeze it in... set a global variable when you enter a reverse battle (and unset it after it ends!) and then go to Scripts --> Data Mangling --> Stats --> compute_damage and between line 41 and 42, insert some new code that inverts the final multiplier if you're in a reverse battle.
    1586728472337.png
    (Or maybe you might want to invert the multipliers separately since a x0 multiplier from the target normally being immune to the attack will nullify the effect of the other type, so a Ground --> Flying/Grass would do x2 damage (instead of x4) if you only invert the final mulitplier)
  • Of course! You can import anything you want into the source file once you've bought it. (Just don't resell / share the resulting source file, only compiled game executables)
  • Not sure what difficulty level the engine is at, but everything is fully commented + uses readable constant names instead of "magic numbers", and most of the functionality is based around storing data in arrays. (You've got a code sample above if you want a taste of how the engine codebase looks like). You can get along pretty fine just adding more monster / item data without adding new functionality (the only thing you need to code manually for new moves is their animations - animations are based around spawning an object and waiting for it to disappear, so you can go anywhere from just a projectile that disappears after some time to a 15 minute cutscene for the effects).

B

babydoll

Very helpful, thank you Yal, GMS2 is what I'm using so that's perfect, I'm saving the link to the engine for when I get to that point of my game making. GMS2 needed something of equivalent to Pokemon Essentials and I have no doubt it will prove very useful and very popular.

Momoro

To answer your questions in order:
  • Yes, it's a GMS2 source file. (Which means it doesn't work with 1.x versions of GMS if that's what you're asking)
  • IVs / EVs already are in the game. The formula is a bit different from Pokémon when calculating stats but you can just plug in the official formula from Bulbapedia if you want 100% accuracy. Same thing with catch rates. Most maths stuff is only defined in one place, so if you can find that one place and change the definition you're pretty much golden.
  • It would be pretty easy to squeeze it in... set a global variable when you enter a reverse battle (and unset it after it ends!) and then go to Scripts --> Data Mangling --> Stats --> compute_damage and between line 41 and 42, insert some new code that inverts the final multiplier if you're in a reverse battle.
    View attachment 30084
    (Or maybe you might want to invert the multipliers separately since a x0 multiplier from the target normally being immune to the attack will nullify the effect of the other type, so a Ground --> Flying/Grass would do x2 damage (instead of x4) if you only invert the final mulitplier)
  • Of course! You can import anything you want into the source file once you've bought it. (Just don't resell / share the resulting source file, only compiled game executables)
  • Not sure what difficulty level the engine is at, but everything is fully commented + uses readable constant names instead of "magic numbers", and most of the functionality is based around storing data in arrays. (You've got a code sample above if you want a taste of how the engine codebase looks like). You can get along pretty fine just adding more monster / item data without adding new functionality (the only thing you need to code manually for new moves is their animations - animations are based around spawning an object and waiting for it to disappear, so you can go anywhere from just a projectile that disappears after some time to a 15 minute cutscene for the effects).
Thanks for the explanation (Although it wasn't directed toward me)! Very in-depth :)