Designing a galaxy sandbox

Discussion in 'Game Design, Development And Publishing' started by DekuNut, Jun 4, 2019.

1. DekuNut

DekuNut Member

As a hobby I want build a galaxy-style sandbox. I have a few ideas on how it will work, but wanted to get someone input from others as to what I might need or where to start.

2. Yal

Yal GMC Memer GMC Elder

This is a very open-ended question on the verge of being impossible to reply to, but here's some pointers:
    • Make stuff "top down", as in, start with high-level concepts and then make them more detailed later. Start by making a bunch of planets, then get that system to sorta work, and THEN work on things like planet types affecting possible terrain and wildlife.
    • Look into the stuff people complained about when No Man's Sky first was released. Don't repeat the same mistakes. (A big common complaint was "everything looks the same", which is a pretty bad thing if your core idea is "go to weird alien worlds and find new discoveries around every corner")
    • Don't use the room editor, figure out a way to generate bits of your world with code, and only load in parts when you're close to them. Space is BIG, and GM is bad at handling lots of active objects at once.