• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Designing a galaxy sandbox

D

DekuNut

As a hobby I want build a galaxy-style sandbox. I have a few ideas on how it will work, but wanted to get someone input from others as to what I might need or where to start.

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
This is a very open-ended question on the verge of being impossible to reply to, but here's some pointers:
  • Make stuff "top down", as in, start with high-level concepts and then make them more detailed later. Start by making a bunch of planets, then get that system to sorta work, and THEN work on things like planet types affecting possible terrain and wildlife.
  • Look into the stuff people complained about when No Man's Sky first was released. Don't repeat the same mistakes. (A big common complaint was "everything looks the same", which is a pretty bad thing if your core idea is "go to weird alien worlds and find new discoveries around every corner")
  • Don't use the room editor, figure out a way to generate bits of your world with code, and only load in parts when you're close to them. Space is BIG, and GM is bad at handling lots of active objects at once.