Graphics Design Ideas and Inspiration

Discussion in 'Game Design, Development And Publishing' started by samspade, May 16, 2019.

1. samspade

samspade Member

I'm looking for graphical design ideas and inspiration along a few lines. Essentially, what are:
    • Games with colorful and minimalist art styles such as Mini-Metro
    • Easy to implement graphical manipulations such as tweening
    • "Easy" to implement shaders that would look good with the above such as outline shaders or color dissolvers
    The background for this question is that I like the current art direction for my current project (see link in my signature to WIP) but I want to make it more inviting, vibrant, and eye catching while keeping the current minimalist style art. So for example, I currently have the most basic 'bounce' when you interact. I can make that a better tween, I could add color to the art, or make it so that upon interacting with it there is a color outline that tweens around it like the stops in mini-metro.

2. Yal

Yal GMC Memer GMC Elder

Here's a bunch of random minimalist stuff from the top of my head:

Ellipsis is a puzzle game that uses no text at all, it teaches everything through its mechanics. Also most sound effects are single musical notes, so you create music as you play through the levels. Really artsy, and very much in the same vein as Mini Metro.
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/514620/Ellipsis/

Baba is You has a pixelart art style, but most sprites have a single color and EVERYTHING has a bobby, bouncy animation so it has a vibe that's not too far off from Mini Metro.
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/736260/Baba_Is_You/

Tetris Effect is basically tetris, but it has a TON of added juice and little details. Blocks organically bounce when you slam them down, there's little glows pulsing through the bricks from time to time to differentiate them from the background, and the sound effects all are subtle ambient things that matches the surreal themes the game uses for the levels.
    Random let's play of it:

Kezarus likes this.