Deserters (cats, ww2, isometria, turn-based)

D

Dene

Title: Deserters
Genre: turn-based tactical RPG
Engine: GMS 2
Platforms: Win, Mac

Hi guys! We already make game about cats in WW2 setting for some time (but it is still early WIP) and at last decided to share our progress with you.

Very briefly about the game: Single player, WW2 setting, turn-based tactical combat, plot about the horrors of war. Pixel art, top quality animations, height system with multiple floors. If you grew up on such games as Fallout (1, 2), Baldur's Gate and other isometric masterpieces from 90's, then you'll enjoy our game (I hope).

More in-game gifs:

Support us on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/deserters
And follow in Twitter: https://twitter.com/dene_pixelhands

Feel free to ask questions! Thanks!

Morendral

This looks really neat. I like the graphics, they kind of remind me of the starter person when you load a new project in sketch up.

I'm curious about the name. Why is it called deserters, when the game is about fighting?

G

Guest User

i like that their tails swish and floop. :3
adorable little ears too, looking fantastic.

D

Dene

I'm curious about the name. Why is it called deserters, when the game is about fighting?
The game is about the war with the main idea that war is a bad thing. Cats is an allusion to Nazi Germany and dogs (there will be dogs, yeah) to USSR. But the player will not play for one or another side.

really like the art. care to share your art workflow?
Thank you guys for kind words. I'll make some post about my workflow in future. This information 100% will be in my twitter and Patreon. Maybe I'll make a post on this forum too.

D

Dene

Here is a little post about how I've created gif-reward for one of our Patrons. The workflow of creating animations for the game is the same.

1. Create animation in Blender
2. Move different parts of the character to different layers and render them separately
3. Import all the parts of character to Aseprite and outline every animation layer
It was a pain in the ass to import all the layers by hand so I wrote macros for handle that. But it still makes mistakes sometimes, so hope to see built-in macros redactor in Aseprite some day.

4. Improve the animation by drawing by hand :)
Don't forget to support us on Patreon. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
N

Nembo

Seeing those gifs really reminded me of playing Jagged Alliance back in the day. I will say that I adding some shading to those sprites would help them look even better IMHO.