• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Android Deploying APK to Google Play uncovered a problem

G

Galloper

So I decided to give it a try and compiled my small game into an .apk file, then uploaded it into the Play store, it all went well, until this message:

"Your app has an apk with version code [...] that requests the following permission(s): android.permission.READ_PHONE_STATE. Apps using these permissions in an APK are required to have a privacy policy set."

And the problem is that in the Game Options->Android ->Permissions it's unchecked and I rly don't need it, at least not for this game. Does it mean I have to manually edit the manifest to avoid including it or there is a more elegant way to solve this problem? Without including privacy policy for something that I don't use.
Sorry if I messed it up, since I'm new to this process. Recompiling and reuploading doesn't help - Google still insists that I'm using that permission.

G

Galloper

Oh I just figured that extensions may add their own permissions. Well, it's solved then.

G

Galloper

How did you manage to solve it? Did you remove the extension permission on GMS2 IDE? If yes How?

Because i found that i can't edit the permission of extension on GMS2 IDE (on GMS 1.4 can):

https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.p...of-extension-add-or-remove-on-gms2-ide.28549/
Well I solved it by adding the requested policy. Actually, I think these reviews of disappointed people can shed some light on the roots of this problem: https://marketplace.yoyogames.com/assets/2009/google-play-licensing
If you want to remove permissions (as it does make your game appear in the play store with some unpleasant marks - like it reads some private user data) you can try following the instructions in one of those reviews.

And by the way, if you make it through publishing as I just did, the next problem which is not clearly covered in the documentation (at least I didn't see it) is the fact that you won't be able to use USB debugging on device after you publish your game with a license key, even if it's a usual public key and you publish as closed alpha, you will need to follow the link on your device, something like https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.yourcompany.yourgame and make an install of a copy from there, uninstalling any previous versions that might still be left on the device when you tested them through USB. Oh and obviously, if you do a closed test, you'll need to include your or any other accounts in the testers list.

H

HW.

Thank you for your reply. So we need to edit the AndroidManifest.xml outside of GMS2, not directly inside IDE.