Windows Demo is Out - Dead Clones - Roguelite fan game after DC

MCHLV

Dead Clones Logo 2.png
Dead Clones is a nervous roguelite platformer set in a gloomy sci-fi dungeon.
Run, jump and slash your way across dark coridors, slaughter clones, loot what they left behind to face and defeat CRUSH3R, protector of the dark realm, and start again when he kill you.

dead clones boss.png

FIGTH3R Release 20 - Early Game Play - It would mean a lot if you try it
Dead Clones is a free fan game with obvious inspirations made with love (and Game Maker Studio)
The game is ready with minimalists content: a linear run across 3 areas, 8 enemies, 10 upgrades, and a boss. A full run should take you 10 minutes but CRUSH3R is a viscious, almost unfair, boss. If you are lucky you'll find usefull upgrades (faster kunai, longer combo, air dash...) along the way and you might collect enough DNA orbs to improve your body for the next runs.

How To Play
You will find a .zip file on itch.io (link below), 1-download, 2-extract the folder, 3-run dead_clones.exe... it should work hopefully
There is a tutorial but in a nutshell, you can double jump and wall jump, you will need to slide a lot to avoid attacks of all kind and ripost with a 3 hit combo (ground/air), air slam or your lazer kunai. Try to have your name up the highscores board by completing your run quickly... and without dying.
>>Link to the game>>>> Dead Clones - Latest FIgTH3R Release - ITCHI.IO

Have fun ! Thanks for playing and reach out to me if you want to build a game with me!

Thank you so much
MichelV

More bla bla:
I started this project 25 months ago (with some pauses along the way). My objective was to learn what it takes to design and develop a game.
The game is currently playable but would need more content (enemies, boss, upgrades, dialog), tweaking (randomization, rogue mechanism, juice) and proper art (audio and colors) to be where I want it to be. Even then, it will not stand out from the crowd (it was originaly thought with a specific focus on speed-run with a time you need to pickup while progressing...).
I now want to be part of a game that people would love enough to pay for.... so I'll be thinking on my next project.

If you feel like learning more on the project of just like chating with me, the best way is to contact me here or on twitter : https://twitter.com/GamemakerV... (also have a blog and discord that I cannot maitain alone)

Attachments

Last edited:

Cameron

Looks great so far man! Make sure to keep with it and see it through to the end. What you have here is looking great though :) Nice palette colors, pixel art, and game mechanics.

MCHLV

Thank you @Cameron.

GML:
MichelV.motivation ++;
For the story, I can draw but I suck at color choice. I am only one man, so to have the project moving on, I have focused on programming and I have kept the color choices for later.
So what I did: my tiles are drawn in greyscale and they are colored through a shader, same for enemies. So I can change my mind in terms of color...
dead clones colors.png

For now, I am not happy with the readability of enemies which player cannot easily differentiate... This is unfair, so I will need to fix this... hopefuly before the demo otherwise everyone is going to yell at me....

Also, I would like the game to look better... which is a broad notion. I have tried some few things but I was not happy with the mood it gave the game (like I tried fog). I will need to come back later to add fancy effects.

M.

Attachments

Last edited:

MCHLV

1592501368134.png

Hello all,
So yes I have build a basic menu, where you can change controls... so I guess I just have to build 4-5 rooms and it will be ready to test...
I hope some of you will take the time to help me.
I'll keep you posted
M

Last edited:

MCHLV

Hello dear community,

So I have included a basic random generation (simple path of random rooms) so that I can share a demo.
I need to tweak some gameplay features (edge tolerance, wall jump timing...) before releasing this.
But yeah, if ever you feel like testing this for me PLEASE let me know.

M.

Last edited:

Khao

This looks actually properly genuinely good. I mean it. It already looks like something I'd be willing to spend money on.

Well, sort of. It would probably be wise to invest some time to create some different areas with different backgrounds and atmospheres. I'm guessing you want the entire game to be based on a creepy lab thingy, but I'm sure there's potential there to add some variety. Have cleaner sections. Darker sections. Places overcome by nature. That kinda thing. If the game is a roguelike, you can use that to convey progress. The "dungeon lab" is your theme, but you can have "sub-themes" to provide variety and even some cool gameplay additions.

If you've already considered this, then I really don't have much to say. I think you're well on your way to have an extremely solid product here. Maybe work a bit more on your logos and menus, but everything related to gameplay already looks brilliant.

MCHLV

Thank you Khao. Good vibes for my motivation !

The initial plan was to have a first vertical with one area out in 6 months and build from there with additional areas... This was 12 months ago and I still do not have my first boss, nor any gears / upgrades.
Your comment really helps me with my priorities: maybe tuning gamefeel with edge tolerance and such is not my proper next step and I need to put more flesh in the game (also I am quite happy with my logos so your feedback is also helpfull. After so much time on my project, I can't really see anything anymore).

Thanks !
M.

Yrbiax

Hey, i tried your demo.

It was definetly challenging with only 3 hp and enemies being so fast.
Took some time to get used to, but dodging those dash attacks felt rewarding.
I found it hard to avoid taking damage in rooms with multiple enemies, because you couldnt dash or jump during melee animation.

I kinda got lost at the end and was wandering around empty rooms, finally found this orb. :D
deadclones.png

MCHLV

@Yrbiax , thank you so much for taking the time to play this ! And congratulations on finishing it.
I should explain controls at game start.... and maybe the DSH3R (the one that charges) is a bit difficult compared to the other 2. I'll have a look to the melee animation window.
I guess you did not experience any technical issue, so that's also good news.

MCHLV

Hello all,

I added a tutorial room and a new start room.
I updated the demo link in the first post, thanks for those who will test it.

M.

Last edited:

MCHLV

Hello all !! I hope you are well...

Big news : there is a new release of Dead Clones Demo and it features a Bad ass Boss CRUSH3R
dead_clones_boss.gif

So, months count is 14 since I started this project. I've learnt tons and I have setup a decent game architecture, I still have to design the 'rogue' part but the rest is ready and adding content (enemies, boss, visuals) will now be easier. For now, I really need some feedback on the game because I can't see anything anymore... I suspect my boss is too hard, DSH3R clone might be too quick to dodge, it may also feel the attack prevents you from dashing... I have many question but only you can help me progress with gameplay.

So can you please test this new demo: T3STR Release 5.I updated the link in the first post

Any advice, feedback will really help me.

Thank you very much,

M.

Attachments

Last edited:

MCHLV

Hello all,
Thanks to feedbacks, I have tweaked the controls to make dash and wall jump more forgiving.
I updated the demo in the first post.
M.

J

jcop

First time trying your demo. This plays really nicely and everything has the right feel in that it controls and reacts the way I would expect it to. The graphics are great and the sound fx fit the action nicely.

I was using the keyboard because I couldn't get my gamepad to work with it. I usually have an Xbox controller connected for testing but don't have it with at the moment so I am using an old Gravis Gamepad Pro. The UI in the game said "A new gamepad (unknown type) was connected to slow 4. Current gamepad (XBOX compatible controller) connected to slot 0 is kept." I'll give it a try again later when I have my xbox controller hooked up.

Really impressed with this and it will make for a fun game.

MCHLV

@jcop thank you for your kind words.

I still have some stuff to tweak and all the ROGUE part to design and implement, then the game will get a visual updrade and will look even better !

This gamepad thing concerns me because I am not doing anything complex. It is just the gamepad connect async event, that set the slot to the gamepad, except if another gamepad was connected before. Edit - I released a new demo with an additional gamepad test to secure gamepad swap.

Last edited:
J

jcop

@jcop thank you for your kind words.

I still have some stuff to tweak and all the ROGUE part to design and implement, then the game will get a visual updrade and will look even better !

This gamepad thing concerns me because I am not doing anything complex. It is just the gamepad connect async event, that set the slot to the gamepad, except if another gamepad was connected before. Edit - I released a new demo with an additional gamepad test to secure gamepad swap.
I'm not at the computer that had the gamepad issue now but I will try the updated demo on that computer next week. I did download the new demo where I am at now and used it with an Xbox One controller and it worked really well and felt natural to control.

J

jcop

I'm not at the computer that had the gamepad issue now but I will try the updated demo on that computer next week. I did download the new demo where I am at now and used it with an Xbox One controller and it worked really well and felt natural to control.
Tried Tester 7 just now and still having the gamepad issue. When I launch the game I get the following screen:
s1.png

In Windows 10 settings I have this device listed:
s2.png

However, the Xbox 360 controller isn't plugged in. Once I remove this device then the gamepad works in the game.

During gameplay everything works fine for controls but on the main menu pressing down doesn't work. Pressing up works fine. During gameplay down works along with jump to drop down to the platform below.

Btw... this is all just to try to help. I really like what you've made.

Finally, I unplugged the Gravis Gamepad and plugged in an Xbox One wired controller and everything worked great everywhere.

MCHLV

Hello jcop,

Thank you. I appreciate the time you are taking to help me fix this.
The xbox 360 issue is weird. I have some clue for the down issue in the menu but game_pad discovery should work.

An option I was advised would be to always use all slots and don't bother with what is discovered as plugged/unpluged. Any connected gamepad will work anytime... which is not very elegant but I may give it a try.
I'll post a new release soon.
Thank you again

M.

Last edited:

MCHLV

Hello all

I have updated the link with 8th version with ultra-robust gamepad support (+ included traps, tweaked the boss, smoothed ground/air attack transition + gamepad icons + feedback feature).

T3STR Release 8>>Link to the demo>>> Dead Clones - Latest T3STR Release

@jcop if you can sometime test this one to make sure gamepad works properly... If it does not work I don't what will :)

M.

Last edited:

MCHLV

Hello all,
I have updated the game with another weapon and added some skills you can pickup in your run. (updated the first post with a new link)
I'll be thankful if anyone can playtest this...

M.

MCHLV

Hello all,

The game is out, at least an early access.
Come and challenge me... I feel alone :p
dead clones scores.PNG
M.

FIGTH3R Release 20 - Early Game Play - It would mean a lot if you try it
Dead Clones is a free fan game with obvious inspirations made with love (and Game Maker Studio)
The game is ready with minimalists content: a linear run across 3 areas, 8 enemies, 10 upgrades, and a boss. A full run should take you 10 minutes but CRUSH3R is a viscious, almost unfair, boss. If you are lucky you'll find usefull upgrades (faster kunai, longer combo, air dash...) along the way and you might collect enough DNA orbs to improve your body for the next runs.

How To Play
You will find a .zip file on itch.io (link below), 1-download, 2-extract the folder, 3-run dead_clones.exe... it should work hopefully
There is a tutorial but in a nutshell, you can double jump and wall jump, you will need to slide a lot to avoid attacks of all kind and ripost with a 3 hit combo (ground/air), air slam or your lazer kunai. Try to have your name up the highscores board by completing your run quickly... and without dying.
>>Link to the game>>>> Dead Clones - Latest FIgTH3R Release - ITCHI.IO

Last edited: