• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

GameMaker deleted assets still retain their folder in the project files

Mr Errorz

When deleting an asset from the tree, I see it is not actually deleting the folder that was created for it
inside the project's folder.
Like, if I create a script, and then delete it, I can still see it's folder inside my_project > scripts.
I remember there was a check box for this in GMS 1.4, but can't seem to find it or its equivalent in GMS 2..
Anyone?

Are you using the latest version of GMS 2? I just tested on 2.2.4.474 and created and deleted several scripts in the IDE. The folders and the scripts within were all deleted from disk.

Have you tested this behaviour with a new project, does it still happen then?

Mr Errorz

Are you using the latest version of GMS 2? I just tested on 2.2.4.474 and created and deleted several scripts in the IDE. The folders and the scripts within were all deleted from disk.

Have you tested this behaviour with a new project, does it still happen then?
I'm on 2.2.4.459

Azenris

Didnt that used to be a problem with gms1 too. I remember having to 'export' my project to kinda 'clean' it. I havnt noticed anything myself for gms2

Didnt that used to be a problem with gms1 too. I remember having to 'export' my project to kinda 'clean' it. I havnt noticed anything myself for gms2
Yeah, in the end it was a feature in 1.4. You could toggle the option to delete resources from disk when deleting from resource tree. I don't know of that option in GMS 2. It always deletes from disk as far as I can see.

Edit : except in this posters case.

Mr Errorz

Yeah, in the end it was a feature in 1.4. You could toggle the option to delete resources from disk when deleting from resource tree. I don't know of that option in GMS 2. It always deletes from disk as far as I can see.

Edit : except in this posters case.
I mean, just to be clear, it does delete the file that was created in the folder, but not the folder itself. just keeps an empty folder w/ the asset's name.
And no, I did not test it with the latest version, it's just an annoyance and I rather not to go through an update right now.

I mean, just to be clear, it does delete the file that was created in the folder, but not the folder itself. just keeps an empty folder w/ the asset's name.
And no, I did not test it with the latest version, it's just an annoyance and I rather not to go through an update right now.
Are you keeping your project in Dropbox/OneDrive or similar file sharing service. That might possibly cause issues.

You didn't mention in your replies if the problem occurs with a fresh blank project. This might help narrow the problem down to it being a problem with the specific project or a general bug with your GMS installation.

Mr Errorz

Are you keeping your project in Dropbox/OneDrive or similar file sharing service. That might possibly cause issues.

You didn't mention in your replies if the problem occurs with a fresh blank project. This might help narrow the problem down to it being a problem with the specific project or a general bug with your GMS installation.
Not keeping it in DB/similar, but am using a git.
Didn't try it on a fresh project yet, I'll give it a go and report back.