1. Hey! Guest! The 34th GMC Jam will take place between August 22nd, 12:00 UTC (Thursday noon) and August 26th, 12:00 UTC (Monday noon). Why not join in! Click here to find out more!
    Dismiss Notice

Question - IDE Delay on [Texture Group - Default]

Discussion in 'GameMaker Studio 2 Community Tech Support' started by KishSquared, Oct 25, 2018.

1. KishSquared

KishSquared Member

When Gamemaker 2 compiles my game, it sometimes only takes about 30 seconds. However, roughly half the time the compilation gets stuck on "Texture Group - Default", sometimes for upwards of 5 minutes.

Any idea why this seemingly random delay occurs? It comes and goes so I know the program is capable of a fast compilation, so this gets frustrating. I've updated several times, so it persists through reinstallation of GM2.

2. TrunX

TrunX Member

As far as I know the first time you compile something and every time after you've added a new sprite to the project it takes much longer.

3. KishSquared

KishSquared Member

That's correct, but it shouldn't vary by 5 minutes session-to-session. I can compile the game in 5 minutes, kill the window, and hit 30 seconds on the next compile. Totally random.

4. GMWolf

GMWolf aka fel666

not random.
    GM will cahe data around to reduce compile times.
    Textures get recomputed when you change them in some way. this can be expensive.

5. KishSquared

KishSquared Member

Okay thanks, that's helpful. What constitutes a change to the texture group? Maybe I can find the pattern if I can figure that out.

6. GMWolf

GMWolf aka fel666

when you create / edite / destroy a texture. or when you switch what texture group they are in

7. KishSquared

KishSquared Member

Never done any of those things, I only have the default texture group. Must be something else that triggers it then :/

8. kupo15

kupo15 Member

You've never edited your sprites in any way or created a new sprite? Also, how many sprites do you have anyway? A lot or little?

9. GMWolf

GMWolf aka fel666

right, sorry. when i say 'texture' i mean sprite. They are the same thing, really.

Alix and kupo15 like this.
  10. KishSquared

KishSquared Member

Thanks for the info! You're right that it happens anytime I edit a sprite. I never noticed the pattern before now.