Defining #Macros in multiplace places

Discussion in 'Programming' started by Mert, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Mert

Mert Member

Hi. I was testing scaling and orientation settings of my app for different targets. I define #macro resW and #macro resH in two fields (see the following code). >> In the red label on script window.

The GMS2 IDE gives me the error : macro resW already exists. My app only defines them in one condition, it means that I do not re-define them afterwards.

My app runs on both Android and Web with no issue, but my question is would this create any issue, or am I coding it in a bad way ?

Code:
    case 0: //Android
        device_mouse_dbclick_enable(false);
        display_set_ui_visibility(1024);
        os_powersave_enable(false);

//Set the display size
        #macro resW 720
        #macro resH 1280

//Resize GUI
        display_set_gui_size(resW,resH);
        break;

case 1: ///On Browser
        #macro resW browser_width
        #macro resH browser_height

break;

2. TheouAegis

TheouAegis Member

Just don't use a macro.

If the IDE is saying you can't do it, then it probably won't even let you compile it. Macros and enums are handled by the IDE and compiler, not by the code itself.

Can you still set macros as outcomes of functions or conditions or results of scripts?

3. Mert

Mert Member

I'm using them completely for cosmetic reasons, and I access these valuables constantly throughout the game.(Placing graphics and making the app responsive for both PC & Mobile Web views). I thought using them would be beneficial, and the code looks too neat.

I've never tried as you described them in the question.

4. YellowAfterlife

YellowAfterlife ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ Forum Staff Moderator

You cannot use macros like that - you would need a configuration to regulate which macros get used,
    Code:
    #macro resW 720
    #macro Web:resW browser_width

Mert likes this.
  5. PlayerOne

PlayerOne Member

Keep in mind that macros are global in scope. To create multiple macro's with the same name in your project - regardless if it's an object or script - will give off an error on compile.

6. Death

Death Member

Yup, macros are constants, since you define the same macro twice, i.e., trying to redefine a constant, you'll get the error...

7. Binsk

Binsk Member

Macros aren't really even "global in scope" they don't even exist at run-time. They are only a compile-time convenience. GameMaker will simply read the definition of a macro, regardless of its location or the code around it, and replace all instances of it with its value at compile-time. Once the project is compiled and by the time you run it all macros have ceased to exist. This is why if-statements and such don't work with them because those are considered at run-time not compile-time.

PlayerOne likes this.