Graphics Deciding an aspect ratio for top-down "stealth" game

• Thread starter Cockerspaniel_Supreme
  • Start date
C

Cockerspaniel_Supreme

Hello everyone,
So my game is going to have stealth elements, which means that it's important that the aspect ratio remain the same irregardless of resolution. This is obviously needed to avoid players with different aspect ratios and resolutions seeing or not seeing threats on or off the screen (it would be horribly obnoxious if an enemy off-screen "detected" you and sounded an alarm).

The game is top-down and not a platformer, currently I'm deciding between 16:9 and 4:3. Since my game isn't a platformer the more square-shaped 4:3 seems like the more logical choice, but it may not satisfy the majority of players who use 16:9 resolution monitors.

Any thoughts on this?

Z

zombieattack

Could you make the view screen 4:3 and make the user interface / HUD a sidebar on the right side of the screen to fill in the extra width of most 16:9 monitors?

C

Cockerspaniel_Supreme

Could you make the view screen 4:3 and make the user interface / HUD a sidebar on the right side of the screen to fill in the extra width of most 16:9 monitors?
Yeah, I plan on designing the UI to be minimalistic and having the GUI be resized independently so that it will either occupy blackspace or a small portion of the gameplay depending on the user's aspect ratio.