Debugging

Is there a way to artificially slow down my game significantly so I can see what's happening? I'm not familiar with the profiling tools (in any language) I never quite got the hang of it.

I guess I could use a timer but wanted to know if there was a better way of doing this.

This is the purpose of the debugging tool. It lets you run each line one by one if you wish. If you're not familiar with it, I'd recommend doing some research here and on the forums (maybe even youtube, I have a vague feeling @samspade has a tutorial on the debugger).

Ye, I have no real questions about this topic. I haven't dived into it at all really. I get the step by step thing. It's just one of those tools that don't make a great deal of intuitive sense. I know how I want it to behave. But Eh no, I need to do a fair bit of leaning on that front.

samspade

I do indeed have a tutorial on the debugger:

As well as a general series of videos on debugging: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLwgH1hDD0q1HTndDbDY04uzHuxefRq78z

Personally, I run the debugger all the time. On most projects I'm running it one out of three or four builds. I find it invaluable in general not just for debugging but for monitoring and understanding how your code works. One thing that is worth pointing out is that right now in 2.3 there are issues with the debugger - for example the watch window and structs. These have been fixed in the 2.3.1 as far as I can tell.

Shaun Spalding's tutorial is good as well. It's a little shallower than mine on the topics I cover, in my opinion, but he covers a number of things I do not: