GameMaker debugging - how to find a instance

D

Dwighty4000

How can I find this "global.sprache" in the watches window? because I cannot find them under "instances" and I have to have an overview of their changing value during the debugging process!
But where is the "global.sprache" in the watches window and by the way!

How can I enter by myself a own instance into the watch window?
here a screenshot:
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/31/0d/cd/310dcdd320cd98cc0a73cf71bb22a0cb.png

Last edited by a moderator:

YellowAfterlife

ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ
Forum Staff
Firstly, you are looking at "instances", not "watches".

For "watches" window, you double-click an empty cell on the left column and enter an expression there - such as your "global.sprache"

D

Dwighty4000

Firstly, you are looking at "instances", not "watches".

For "watches" window, you double-click an empty cell on the left column and enter an expression there - such as your "global.sprache"
What is a column? is this a window? is this a botton to press? I don't know it without a screenshot!

Why you don't send me a direct answer of my problem, but a list with over 100 guides?
This is not helpful!

samspade

what is a "debugger" ??
I don't know a debugger botton to press.
why you don't send me a screenshot ?
What Dwighty used is a standard method of telling someone the folders or menus to navigate through. In this case he's referring to the Debugger drop down menu that appears when you are running the debugger and gives you access to all the different debugging windows. Follow those steps to see the global window. By default, I believe it appears at the bottom of your screen.

I would recommend reading these to learn more about the debugger:

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
what is a "debugger" ??
I don't know a debugger botton to press.
why you don't send me a screenshot ?

The Manual entry for the Debugger said:
The Debugger is a powerful tool for checking your game, and is especially useful for tracking down errors and bugs in your code, as well as checking that scripts are run when they should be, and that variables and arrays contain the values you expect etc... You can start the Debugger by running your game from GameMaker Studio 2 IDE using the Debug button
at the top of the IDE, or by going to the Build menu and selecting "Debug".
What is a column? is this a window? is this a botton to press? I don't know it without a screenshot!

Why you don't send me a direct answer of my problem, but a list with over 100 guides?
He did give you a direct answer, you just didn't listen.

Run the debugger, then pause the game (the button with two vertical bars), then click the "Variables" tab at the bottom part of the screen. You should then see something like this:

You should see the value of global.sprache in the "Globals" section of the Variables tab, just as Azenris instructed.

YellowAfterlife's advice is about using the Watch panel. Double-click where the screenshot says "Add new watch..." (it is in the left column of the Watch panel) and type global.sprache there.

This is not helpful!
What's really not helpful is you not following instructions as given and sassing back at experienced responders.

TheouAegis

If you want to view the variables of a particular instance, make sure the instance has a sprite and then while the debugger is paused, click on that instance in the game. All of its variables will show up under the "Selected Instance" tab.