• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Legacy GM debugger of gamemaker studio shows nothing!

jobjorgos

Hey,

i have the following code in a step event:

Code:
playery=obj_peg.y*-1;

depth = playery;
now when i run my game in debug mode, i expect to see live updates of the local variabe "playery", but the locals box of the debugger in GM:S 1.4 is empty and whatever i tried i cant get it work probly.

Does anybody have any advice for me how i get this to work? Thanks!

jobjorgos

i just solved it for now by drawing all the variables i need to know in dynamic testing,

but has anybody else had the same issue with no data showing up in his/her debugger?
i did not find anybody with this problem on google so might i forgot just something stupid :p

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
Unless you put "var" at the start, it's an instance variable, not a local variable. So I assume you meant to do this...

Code:
var playery=obj_peg.y*-1;

depth = playery;

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Did you also try pausing the game and then unpausing it? AFAIK the debugger only updates the game data when paused (to speed up the process or something).
It's also worth noting that you can go forward a single frame when paused, letting you check stuff step-by-step if needed.

jobjorgos

it's an instance variable, not a local variable
ah i really didn't know this! i always thought with locals the debugger meant instance variables, and i also though
Code:
var playery=obj_peg.y*-1;

depth = playery;
is the same as
Code:
playery=obj_peg.y*-1;

depth = playery;
but really good to know there is a difference between them.
Debugger finally works for me now!

letting you check stuff step-by-step if needed.
also this i didnot know and could be very usefull in dynamic testing.

thanks alot i got enough help to continue working on my game now :D