• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Debugger lists everything as "<unknown instance>"

K

KH-SOS

So something I did this afternoon has ruined debugger. I've been working on this project for months, it's looking really good and I'm going to show it at a convention next weekend, but all of a sudden debugger is acting up.
Now when I run the project in debug the debugger lists every instance in the room (except for oHero - the main player object) as <unknown instance>. I can still click on them and drill down to find variable data, but as you might imagine, it's a tremendous pain in the neck trying to find what you want.nomoreinstancetypes.jpg

Has anyone seen this behaviour before? Any ideas what caused it/how to fix it?

Jabbers

Bump for help.

I randomly got this problem for the first time ever this week. I'm on an old version of Studio, 1.4.1757. It makes debugging an absolute nightmare.

UPDATE: results of my testes
  • Using latest EA doesn't fix it
  • Reinstalling GM doesn't fix it
  • Exporting project to a new project doesn't fix it
  • Resaving project to a new project doesn't fix it
  • Using an old backup of my game fixed the issue, it seems to be project specific
  • Comparing the files with WinMerge showed no obvious differences, I didn't do a thorough search but the only change was some new resources that I added since the last backup
  • Clearing cache doesn't fix it
  • Clearing temp doesn't fix it

EDIT2: okay so a temporary solution could be to run code like this

Code:
with(all)
{
    name = object_get_name(object_index);
}
When run it will create a variable for all existing objects that will show the resource name of the object. It is less convenient, but it means you won't have to guess what object you are looking at based on the variables it possess. It is still better than nothing for now.

Last edited: