• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE Datafiles in wrong location

Edwin20er

If I'm reading this correctly, the datafiles should be located in the Project's datafiles folder, and that may have been the case at the time of writing, but it appears the program now uses the datafiles folder located in
Code:
"C:\Users\edwin\Documents\GameMakerStudio2\datafiles"
If this is the case, can we no longer have unique imported files per game, and if so is this something that can be restored, I'm really hoping I'm just missing a setting somewhere as this is one of the worst changes I can think of.

Sorry for Necroing the thread, but it doesn't appear to be current and is a frustrating distinction that should be made.

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
I'm working on my jam entry using the latest GMS2.3.2.560. My input system includes some of those data files. The part where you configure things depends on the location being right there where you expect it in the datafiles folder. The runtime part just uses the working_directory. And all of this is working like normal at this time. I'm not sure where you got the idea of datafiles not being there. That folder happens to be the same name, and may be used for something else by GMS2...but no, it isn't for your project's data files. That indeed would not make any sense.

Edwin20er

It still works this way. What makes you think it doesn't?
I just had to move my datafiles from

Code:
C:\Users\edwin\Documents\GameMakerStudio2\Project Name\datafiles
to

Code:
C:\Users\edwin\Documents\GameMakerStudio2\datafiles
to get them to be read when running the program.

Edit: All other files in the project are still coming from where they're supposed to be.

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
Test this in a new project. Does the same issue occur there? I'm not sure what would cause it, but moving stuff outside of datafiles makes them NOT be recognized on my end (unless I happen to move them into the local storage or program directory, but that's a different story), so I'm suspecting something may have gone wrong with your project.

Edwin20er

Ok, so I guess something went wrong in my project, I guess I'll duplicate the files I need in the new project. Thanks for all your help, sorry to bother you.

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
Before you do that, try exporting the project as a YYZ and importing it again. That's your go-to "something wrong" button. Alternatively, try loading a backup or checking out a previous commit.

Edwin20er

Saved me a lot of grief, thanks for everything. Wish I knew what caused that mess, but seems to be working properly now.