• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Dart gun shooter

Bearman_18

Fruit Stand Deadbeat
So, I'm working on a top-down shooter in which you play as children with dart guns, (The design and behavior of which replicate actual nerf guns.) So far everything is going surprisingly smoothly, The AI is good, the shooting and stuff is fun, etc. Sadly, it won't be multiplayer, cause I don't have the means, resources, or know-how to do that.

So far, I have one player character who wields a Double Strike with a sword, and an enemy with a Nightfinder. (I believe in giving the enemy a superior weapon.) But now I've made a machine-gunner enemy and I have no idea what gun he holds. Currently he has a clip of eight darts shooting at ten round per second (These numbers can, and probably will change.) His gun has solid range but pretty bad accuracy. Any idea what that might sound like to you guys? Also, If you have any ideas for guns that ought to be in the game, please tell me. There also needs to be a sniper-type player character, a shotgun character, a machine-gun character, and several other enemy types. For a shotgun, I'm thinking a Rough Cut.

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
have the machine gun guy have a quiet whining sound of a motor, and a "Foompt" of a dart flying out of the chamber

Bearman_18

Fruit Stand Deadbeat
@EvanSki Admittedly, I didn't think of that. However what I have no clue about is what nerf gun to base it off of. I don't own any automatic ones. Ideally it will be slightly small, with a high rate of fire.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bearman_18

Fruit Stand Deadbeat
@EvanSki This is perfect! It's almost perfectly matches my predetermined range and rate of fire. And I like it's P90-esque look. I mean, I know it's not technically a bullpup-type gun, because it's clip is in front of the trigger, but it really has that look. I like it. Will use. If there are any other guns that you just like or something, feel free to share, And I will look into them.

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
Pistols
s-l300.jpg

ShotGun
NERF_Accustrike_2.jpg

SniperRifle
N-Strike-Longstrike-CS-6-750x433.jpg

AK-47
maxresdefault.jpg

ChainSaw
ren7zpx3vkqwrjt3k4iq.jpg

Okay that one was a joke, Im by no means a nerf gun expert I just like playing with kid guns

A

Anthony@DiversionKit

You forgot the crossbow and bow variant.

71RyA268t7L._SX466_.jpg61DmgGdeeFL._SY355_.jpg71qN9DRGSJL._SY355_.jpg

I don't know if that counts, but that can add some variety to the gun pool.

EDIT: revolverception ?

003f2902-a640-4c87-a08d-8dd32ec78ffc_1.00dfc248ac8bc8c65effc01db4172d0e.jpeg

Also, a rifle with a gun attached under it for 2 types of attacks

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Just for the record, I think having too realistic sound effects isn't a goal in itself. Make cool noises that aren't obviously wrong (e.g. don't make a gun that makes car honk sounds when it fires) and doesn't get too distracting to listen to, and most people won't think too hard about it. The gun noises from Donkey Kong 64 could be an interesting research subject, they're all using fruit as ammo and have very unconventional sound effects.

Also, protip: add a "play sound with a random 0-10% pitch distortion" function and use that to play sound effects you repeat a lot (gun noises, projectile impacts, footsteps, etc). The sounds sound a lot more natural if they're not obviously the same sample every time you hear them.