Windows DARKSPINE : Level Editor Framework [GAMEMAKER STUDIO 1 & 2] *GML* [ON SALE]

I

immortalx

That last video totally blew my mind! I Every feature of the engine seems so well thought and executed.

Joe Ellis

Wowww there's so many great features! They're all so useful, and you'll probably make way more in the next few months!
This whole engine is like a dream come true, are you using gamemaker? but want to be using the same engine as ubisoft? no problem, here you go

JaimitoEs

Wowww there's so many great features! They're all so useful, and you'll probably make way more in the next few months!
This whole engine is like a dream come true, are you using gamemaker? but want to be using the same engine as ubisoft? no problem, here you go
Hey Joe Ellis, thank you very much for the visit, I hope that very soon what you say will be fulfilled. The same is true of your engine, having the power of Playstation is going to be a pleasure for many, you have an amazing content!

BCrash

Wow, outstanding work! The whole project seems well thought out and actually makes GM's built-in room editor look poor. You really went the extra mile. Great work man, keep it up!

Joe Ellis

Yeah it looks like one hell of an engine, and in gm there is no alternative.
Is it almost finished? I just wondered cus it looks really powerful and fun to play with all the features. So many people are gonna use this and make amazing games

Joe Ellis

Woah that was crazy! I didn't realize the physics were this good. I love how you can make any shaped lines and polygons you want, this is gonna be a huge extension. Out of curiosity why do you need a kickstarter? It seems you've got the whole thing handled already

JaimitoEs

Woah that was crazy! I didn't realize the physics were this good. I love how you can make any shaped lines and polygons you want, this is gonna be a huge extension. Out of curiosity why do you need a kickstarter? It seems you've got the whole thing handled already
Hi @Joe Ellis!

I thank you for your words! Yes, the handling of vectors is very similar to the photoshop pen, but it is easier to use and is capable of generating any form (without holes at the moment).

It is indeed a fairly large project, and that is why I want to make sure to give users the best experience. To create this project alone I had to focus on creating the core, giving preference to the implementation of tools and updates. I knew that for this I had to create an easy programming interface, which would allow me to modify things quickly and efficiently. So at first glance it does not seem like an engine that looks professional, my intention was to focus all the attention on what we see on the screen, leaving a small space for the Ui and combining this with the keyboard.

I am in doubt of implementing a typical window-style Gui, although in the current Gui (which already contains a script library) you can already modify sprites, scrachpad and sliders, colors, coordinates and implement scripts.
Maybe in a Future I want to give the appearance of a commercial engine, I don't know ...

My vision has been the basis of grabbing custom engines of indie origin, such as that of the Braid video game. Although UbiSoft is a large company, the team responsible for creating the Rayman engine is "small", and they decided to create a very focused engine on what you see. In this team there are 100 people working, of which a percentage will be programmers.

Although GameMaker Studio helps a lot, I'm still a person working on the project, and I'd love to extend all sections of the engine with updates. For this I would not have another to dedicate a minimum of 8 hours a day to the project, the project already has many hours behind, if I want to continue updating, I want this to be fast and give the best experience as soon as possible. Engage with users to do things right, keep me posted on the forum, listen to proposals for improvement and correct bugs (the editor offers many combinations in its tools and it is very likely that there are errors, this happens in all companies).

Working with the code you don't have time to create and show levels, this will change soon, but for that I will need an illustrator to work on asset creation. In this way I can offer a pack of different types of playable genre.

If the campaign went well, I would hire a programmer who works side by side with me. All this to accelerate the process of improvement of the extension.

I would leave my job to devote 100% to work on this project, at that time my vision on the Internet will be greater and I will devote myself fully to programming and show you news.

Sales taxes are high, and if I want to do things right with the Ministry of Labor, I will have to pay workers monthly and sales taxes I suppose.

The engine runs under GMS 1.4.x, and I will surely have to adapt the GPU section for GMS2. Surely a port will cost extra time to operate.

I don't know how many real people would be interested in this, so for the reasons mentioned and the work time I have dedicated to this, I have made the decision to create a kickstarter where users will receive a copy of each version. My plan is that the GMS1 version be launched in its beta phase (which already works very well, although it will not be free of bugs) for those who have supported the project. In this way, by registering users on the SoloStudio website, I can be in contact with the community about everything that happens with the extension, solving people's problems. This will make your version 2.0 much better based on the advances of the beta. The GMS2 version would be planned for March 2020 with all the improvements implemented in its first version, and surely with the new GMS2 syntax, this will end up being more powerful.
From the source of code implemented in the extension, I believe that many people, both great and small programmers, will look at the work methodologies implemented. Some because they want to use a certain part of the code, others to use it as a base in their game and others even to implement it in their current project. I can only tell you that when you try the editor, you don't want to go back to the GameMaker officer. With this I do not say that the editor of GameMaker is not good, but when you get used to the extra functions and be able to edit in real time without having to compile to transfer 1 pixel an object, without talking about tools, it is already a great addition.

This project started in 2016, and if I do not have the support of the campaign, I will probably decide to continue with the project but to create a video game in my spare time, I feel a custom engine more that does not see the light, because I will not be able to take charge of maintaining it if I don't have an economic stability that allows me to freely dedicate the hours I want without worrying about anything else ...

ha ha, sorry for the bible I've written.

JaimitoEs

A very happy day...o_O

The elements react to the light according to the depth of these ... If an element is at a lower depth than the light, the outline of our sprite will illuminate relative to the position and direction of the light , upper depth illuminate the clear pixels bumping the asset, Rim lighting ...

You can create a Masked lights! Without using the alphablend destroy.. If you look the terrain on the back, you can see a substracted hole in the terrain, based on the masked texture, transforming the appearance of the vertex buffer...

This is an example removing a filter, you can see the ilumitation of sprites, calculated by the "vertex surface" depending on depth..

Look at the player's feet and eyes, the sprite that represents the light is a hybrid that acts different from a simple mask. Look at the word "Good", you will see that although the mask that composes the light does not touch the image, it lights up giving a 3d effect to our assets ... all this without the need for a texture map, and gives a very nice result.. What do you think ??

The same image reducing the ambient light....What is your opinion? Would you like to have this kind of lighting for your game?

Animating and switching the light to see diferences...

Last edited:

JaimitoEs

Finished lighting system .... works in the same way as the famous video game ...

It works with vertex buffers and is extremely fast. The lights can be textured and animated. The resolution can be increased depending on how many vertices our mesh has.

JaimitoEs

Taking the control of meshes and tweaking the light area. The fade direction is relative, starting from the centroid polygon.

You can fake a shadow area, look how the player reacts:

Last edited:

JaimitoEs

Starting the level intermediate tutorials, object scripting:
*Attention: There is a mistake in the first example! Rookie mistake! in this case the script *dks_level_load* Need to be passed with the 2 original variables. Looking like this: "dks_level_load( level_folder, level_name)". Sorry for the inconvenient! * Deco object execute by default a draw method, we can choose a non-inherit draw event, writing your draws on your custom object, also you can setup a new draw method script hover the deco object from the editor without the need to break the deco draw event.
*Old documentation, you can store infinte variables per object!..
Enjoy!

I´ts fine for you if I made this in 21:9 aspect? I will try to sound more natural, listening the old videos, i´m feel like a robot...:p:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Posh Indie

That Guy
Starting the level intermediate tutorials, object scripting:
*Attention: There is a mistake in the first example! Rookie mistake! in this case the script *dks_level_load* Need to be passed with the 2 original variables. Looking like this: "dks_level_load( level_folder, level_name)". Sorry for the inconvenient! * Deco object execute by default a draw method, we can choose a non-inherit draw event, writing your draws on your custom object, also you can setup a new draw method script hover the deco object from the editor without the need to break the deco draw event.
*Old documentation, you can store infinte variables per object!..
Enjoy!

I´ts fine for you if I made this in 21:9 aspect? I will try to sound more natural, listening the old videos, i´m feel like a robot...:p:rolleyes:
Bought to show support, even though I do not use GM:S1.4. You seem like a good person with a healthy investment in your customers.

That said, the demo exe in the marketplace does not appear to function (Looking into it, it looks like it creates an invalid AppData path. Something like "(Do not use this)" added to the "Levels" directory on loading). Anyway, it looks pretty neat, well done!

JaimitoEs

Bought to show support, even though I do not use GM:S1.4. You seem like a good person with a healthy investment in your customers.

That said, the demo exe in the marketplace does not appear to function (Looking into it, it looks like it creates an invalid AppData path. Something like "(Do not use this)" added to the "Levels" directory on loading). Anyway, it looks pretty neat, well done!
Thank you very much for the support! I´m working hard to upload the GMS2 version!
Can you show me the error you get? Feel free to register on the forums of SoloStudioTech to collect all the information in this site.
BIG HUGS AND MERCI!:):)

Yesterday I uploaded a new version, an executable installer.

Last edited:

Posh Indie

That Guy
Thank you very much for the support! I´m working hard to upload the GMS2 version!
Can you show me the error you get? Feel free to register on the forums of SoloStudioTech to collect all the information in this site.
BIG HUGS AND MERCI!:):)
I am, unfortunately, not currently at my computer (Using mobile), but I can try to get it for you next time I am. If you want to see it sooner, you can try downloading the exe and running it. If it gives you an error, keep the application open (So it does not clean up the AppData directories) with the error message and go into the AppData folder it generates. Navigate to the "Levels" directory (where the error is pointing to, saying it cannot find the file contained within) and check the name of the "Levels" directory (It will have additional text in the directory name that the application is not using for its searching path).

JaimitoEs

Maybe s
I am, unfortunately, not currently at my computer (Using mobile), but I can try to get it for you next time I am. If you want to see it sooner, you can try downloading the exe and running it. If it gives you an error, keep the application open (So it does not clean up the AppData directories) with the error message and go into the AppData folder it generates. Navigate to the "Levels" directory (where the error is pointing to, saying it cannot find the file contained within) and check the name of the "Levels" directory (It will have additional text in the directory name that the application is not using for its searching path).
Something like \IXTemp000\ between the path? For the exe DemoPack you don´t need to create any new folder, just put the extracted demo package on AppData. i´ve downloaded both and it seems to work correctly for me!

@Posh Indie I just updated the AppDataPack right now, if you still have a problem let me know! So install the program an then put the extracted rar in the mentioned path.

Last edited:

Posh Indie

That Guy
Maybe s

Something like \IXTemp000\ between the path? For the exe DemoPack you don´t need to create any new folder, just put the extracted demo package on AppData. i´ve downloaded both and it seems to work correctly for me!

@Posh Indie I just updated the AppDataPack right now, if you still have a problem let me know! So install the program an then put the extracted rar in the mentioned path.
I will give it a try next chance I get. I tried it a day or two ago, so according to your update in the last response (Having a new exe) it could have been fixed then without me knowing. If so, apologies!

JaimitoEs

I will give it a try next chance I get. I tried it a day or two ago, so according to your update in the last response (Having a new exe) it could have been fixed then without me knowing. If so, apologies!
Unlike! I want to be informed of everything and that everything goes well! I thank you eternally for your intention. I hope you can try the tool! a big hug man!

JaimitoEs

Next updates (in 2 or 3 days, i´m testing):

3D interface (manage the editor in any perspective):

Dinamic view/projection/window resizer:

3D tween sequences:

That lighting rig is something I thought couldn't be accomplished with this software. This is spectacular work and I'm pleased you're making every effort to share your hard work with the community. Much respect!

JaimitoEs

That lighting rig is something I thought couldn't be accomplished with this software. This is spectacular work and I'm pleased you're making every effort to share your hard work with the community. Much respect!
Ohhhh Thanks for the kind words! I must to explain how the vertex buffer lights works, it´s a combination of old school techniques offered by Mike Daily with some tweaks to manage transparency and faded edges, in fact, lights are 3D!!

JaimitoEs

GMS2 - Version 2.1.0. Published June 6, 2020
UPDATE 2.1.0

• Minor bug fixes.
  • Crash fix in multiselection mode. Now it works with chaining operations.
  • ADDED THE NEW TWEEN SEQUENCES TOOL.
  • ADDED A CALLBACK TO EXECUTE A SCRIPT FROM THE START/END SCRIPT FOR EVERY NODE OF A SEQUENCE.
  • THE UI INTERFACE ARE NOW COMPATIBLE IN 3D MODE.
  • If an object contains a variable called "z", the tween sequence property "Depth" is automatically changed to "z".
  • Added a quick view access in the Ui to see the transformation settings of a target.
  • Bug fix in a false traslation with a targeted object while we are canceling a question panel.
  • THE LEVEL PACKAGE HAS BEEN UPDATED WITH A NEW LEVEL WITH A TWEEN SEQUENCE EXAMPLE.
  • More functions are cleaned/optimized.
  • Added a new cleaned package structure with a new level demo adding more draws and sequences.

JaimitoEs

GMS2 - Version 2.2.0. Published June 13, 2020
//UPDATE 2.2.0
  • Tween Scriptable in 3 different events (Play,End,Stop) for each node.
  • Added a third column to call a script when we are Stopping a tween of any node.
  • Bugfix in the coordinates of an added node in 3D orthografic/Fixed mode.
  • Added some Tween Scripts examples for the sequences.
  • Updated the pipeline optimizer.
  • Runtime level update 0.838.
  • Added a new level in the folder "included files", you an call this level from the editor, after this is automatically added on the list.

pixeldrama

Hi,
Seems like a great tool, but:
I get this either in a new project or imported in an existing project:

Code:
of Create Event
for object Darkspine_launcher:

Illegal Buffer Index -1
 at gml_Object_Darkspine_launcher_Create_0 (line 14) - var data_buffer = buffer_read(buffer_update,buffer_string);
############################################################################################
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
stack frame is
gml_Object_Darkspine_launcher_Create_0 (line 14)
Using
GMS2 2.2.5.481 Runtime 2.2.5.378
All the best,
Cosmin

JaimitoEs

Hi,
Seems like a great tool, but:
I get this either in a new project or imported in an existing project:

Code:
of Create Event
for object Darkspine_launcher:

Illegal Buffer Index -1
at gml_Object_Darkspine_launcher_Create_0 (line 14) - var data_buffer = buffer_read(buffer_update,buffer_string);
############################################################################################
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
stack frame is
gml_Object_Darkspine_launcher_Create_0 (line 14)
Using
GMS2 2.2.5.481 Runtime 2.2.5.378
All the best,
Cosmin
Hello PixelDrama! When you talk about a new project I assume that you have purchased the extension from the Marketplace. Thank you very much!:):):)
From what I can read you have not unpacked the .rar called "DarkSpine.rar" included in the resource tree, more specifically in the "Included files" folder.

** EXTENSION INSTALATION INSTRUCTIONS **

1 - Download the extension and import this in your project, and then add all the files into your resource tree.
2 - Uncompress the included file "DarkSpine.rar" opening this in the explorer.
3 - Move the uncompressed folder in the local data of your project "C / Users / yourUserName / AppData / Local / YourProjectName"

4 - RUN.

Last edited: