Asset - Extension DarkSpine Level Editor FrameWork [2.3.18] [7 MAY 2021] Full Release GMS1/GMS2/GMS2.3

JaimitoEs

DarkSpine Keyboard ShortCut Manual

DARKSPINE LEVEL EDITOR FRAMEWORK
Banner market5.jpg

What is promised is debt [UNDER CREATIVE COMMONS V1 LICENCE.

Git hub repository:

Because new lessons are learned every day, and unite we can make bigger progress. I feel that this project belongs to the whole world, without owners, without conditions. I hope you enjoy this editor and bring you a lot of happiness. Feel free to modify it, redistribute it, or sell an improved version of it. For gamers, I hope you can soon enjoy future contributions, stories ..... And that magic is preserved that leaves us all dazzled every time we unseal a video game and take the leading role, euphoric to discover new worlds. Much love for all.

YOYOGAMES, I hope you have been able to get great ideas from this extension to improve your product. I look forward to the day you can implement live coding and live room editing in the near future. Best wishes to you.

MARKETPLACE
Description
Hello World! DarkSpine is a real-time level editor created natively for GameMaker Studio 1/2 Directly inspired by the UbiArt Framework, DarkSpine arrives with implementations to maximize workflow. You can create all kinds of systems and customize the tool to extend its functionalities. The current list of features is as follows:

• Play and Stop your levels in real time without the need of recompiling.
  • Chaining operations.
  • Terrain editor.
  • Tween editor.
  • Vertex editor.
  • Collider editor.
  • Particle editor.
  • Physics and Joints editor.
  • Dynamic layer manager.
  • World Undo-Redo system (Including all data and parenting operations).
  • Object scripting customizing components from the editor .
  • Per depth-range 3D vertex lighting.
  • Object parenting system (Inherit presets data).
  • Graphics manager (including different methods to draw)
  • Json level packaging.
  • Workspace saver.
  • Assets manager.
  • Projects and level structure.
  • Grid menu.
  • 2.5D Transformations.
  • 2D/3D Hybrid camera system.
  • 3D Compatible UI interface.
  • Tween Sequences scriptable in every node.
  • Automatic texture flushing when it´s needed.
  • Dynamic Full/Windowed resizable screen.
  • Customizable/extendable interface, icons, camera, etc...
  • Dynamic Copy/Pasting system, included parented data.
  • Warning messages on screen, helping you avoiding unnecesary crashes.
  • Secure save system in case of crash scripting an object.
  • Darkspine Level updater.
  • Android Demo COMPILED WITH GMS1 1.4 (non YYC): https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Gl0F0MucU_VBV2sR1NanpTKhUmiUNJSV
When you import the extension, you will find more than 650 scripts, of which many are reusable ingame. These Scripts are ordered in all sections with the same name "DarkSpine", so in each update it will be easier to replace these folders. Always operate out of that range so you don't lose your information or duplicate content.

DarkSpine uses a system to update your levels in the case of making internal modifications, these modifications affect the base object, where in no way will it interfere with the custom objects that you have created for the tool.

The tool is fully compatible with projects already started without it. DarkSpine only needs 1 room to start and start working with its own storage system. For example, it can be very useful to design bonus levels or your own cinematic menus. The possibilities are endless, what the tool does is transfer your concepts to something much more visual!

The more support I receive from the public, the more time I can devote to improving all aspects of the tool and improving the experience as soon as possible. This means that it will not fall into abandonment, I am aware of the responsibility of this project. I do not ask to earn a lot of money or think about Ferraris, but if I can dedicate my life to continue enlarging this tool we will all win. Part of the money will be invested in support for the tool, both for the artistic and functional section.

End User Licence Agreement (EULA).

Age Rating: 4+

Privacy Policy

Android Demo
SDK 25.
NDK 16b.
Build in the 7.1.1 Android version.

Nexus 6 2014 in 2560x1080 resolution surface, average: 40-48, but you can see bigger numbers... I have a batery problem...(too old), unstable framerate.

Oppo Reno Snapdragon 710: A real beast more than 120 fps and ultra smooth.

Xiaomi A2 Snapdragon 660: 50-60, very stable.

I will continue to do test in more smartphones, but if you can add a feedback of the demos, it will be a big help to get an performance aproximation.

I'm impatient to see what games or apps you can create with the engine.
* I accept all kinds of criticisms to know which parts of the editor you liked less to prioritize changes.

UPDATE HISTORY:

GMS2.3 - Version 2.3.20. Published May 7, 2021
UPDATE 2.3.20
: * CrashFix related with the new array accessors.

GMS2.3 - Version 2.3.18. Published December 22, 2020
UPDATE 2.3.18

• Bug fix with grid color option settings now you can set the grid color properly like other objects.
  • Grid color are now saved in the workspace.
  • Object colouring are now an undoable action.
  • Bug fix setting childs and switching into another setter.

GMS2.3 - Version 2.3.16. Published August 28, 2020
Nodes-BugFixes

• BugFix selecting bezier nodes in a non-closed polygon.
  • BufFix hiding/showing the bezier nodes by pressing the ALT key in a non-closed polygon.
  • Code style cleaned in all scripts.

GMS2.3 - Version 2.3.15. Published August 26, 2020
Ide_improvements

• BugFix swapping terrain textures with the shortcut keys [WASD].
  • Setting a texture of a vertex buffer now changes automatically the draw method to "dks_draw_vertex".
  • Added a buffer to draw a room box.
  • CrashFix changing the depth of a layer when you mix from the input box characters and numbers.
  • CrashFix copy/pasting an object from la level to another one.

UPDATE 2.3.17
* Tween Resume fix.
* Changed the order executing the initial tweens while we are playing a level, giving you the the possibility to stop them.
* Bug fix adding and selecting sprites.
* Bug fix input detection in tween mode.
* Bug fix loading the editor in vertex mode.

UPDATE 2.3.14
* Added a buffer to draw a room box.
* CrashFix changing the depth of layer when you mix characters and numbers.
* CrashFix copy/pasting and object from a level to another one.

UPDATE 2.3.13
* CrashFix leaving an empty folder in the sprite menu.
* CrashFix adding a new layer in GMS 2.3 version.

UPDATE 2.3.12
* CrashFix executing a particle system before set any feature from the particle editor.
* Bugfix drawing tween sequence nodes.
* Bugfix drawing vectors in polygon mode.

UPDATE 2.3.11 Gml_sintax_update
* The GML syntax has been adapted to version 2.3. At the moment the arrays and their functions.
* Fixed the keyword "other" that cause issues in 2.3.
* Cleaned the 100% of Obsolete Functions and keyframes.
*DarkSpine is 100% functional again.

UPDATE 2.3.01
* Project Converted to 2.3, the following updates will be named as 2.3.xx.
* CrashFix in MultiEditMode blocking the sprite selection in multiple objects.
* The sprite editor can now reproduce all Spine animations to make it easier to select a sprite.
* The entire project has been moved to a single folder, making it much easier to update the extension.

UPDATE 2.2.1
* BUGFIX inserting negative numbers in Tween Mode.

UPDATE 2.2.0
* Tween Scriptable in 3 different events (Play,End,Stop) for each node.
* Added a third column to call a script when we are Stopping a tween of any node.
* Bugfix in the coordinates of an added node in 3D orthografic/Fixed mode.
* Added some Tween Scripts examples for the sequences.
* Updated the pipeline optimizer.
* Runtime level update 0.838.
* Added a new level in the folder "included files", you an call this level from the editor,
after this is automatically added on the list.

UPDATE 2.1.0
* Minor bug fixes.
* Crash fix in multiselection mode. Now it works with chaining operations.
* ADDED THE NEW TWEEN SEQUENCES TOOL.
* ADDED A CALLBACK TO EXECUTE A SCRIPT FROM THE START/END SCRIPT FOR EVERY NODE OF A SEQUENCE.
* THE UI INTERFACE ARE NOW COMPATIBLE IN 3D MODE.
* If an object contains a variable called "z", the tween sequence property "Depth" is automatically changed to "z".
* Added a quick view access in the Ui to see the transformation settings of a target.
* Bug fix in a false traslation with a targeted object while we are canceling a question panel.
* THE LEVEL PACKAGE HAS BEEN UPDATED WITH A NEW LEVEL WITH A TWEEN SEQUENCE EXAMPLE.
* More functions are cleanead/optimized.
* Added a new cleaned package structure with a new level demo adding more draws and sequences.
* Replaced the script "dks_cord_vertex_to_screen" and "dks_cord_object_to_screen" to get the screen coordinates in 3D perspective.

UPDATE 2.0.1
* Bugfix exiting and entering into the workspace while we are managing the animation mode.
* Buffix managing a particle system in Tween mode.
* Working on Tween Ghosted sequences.

UPDATE 2.0
* New dynamic camera system has been implemented.
* Added 2 global mouse variables [global.mouse_xd] and [global.mouse_yd] to manage any camera system.
* Bug fix when you resize the application surface.
* Fixed some Gui elements
* The 80% of the Core and Custom objects has been documented.
* The scripting core modes and setters has been documented.
* The Terrain tool has been documented.
* The Editor Scripting core has been edited.
* The Physics scripting core has been documented.
* A set of script has been renamed or deleted.
* The Level scrpits system has been documented.
* The vertex buffer system has been documented.
* The Json file managment has been documented.
* The resource tree has been reoganized for a better managment.
* The managment of the ingame scripts has been documented.
* The menu managment has been documented.
* The realtime simulation launcher has been documented.
* The workspace scripts has been documented.
* Cleaned a ton of redudant code of the most important scripts.
* Cleaned a set of scripts that was contain some spaguetti coding (probaly i will found more from prototyped scripts).
* Added text and color indentification for the nearest object relative to the mouse,
telling us if a deco object is transformed into another and executed [lime],
if this contains the id for a future swap [orange],
of if this one is a simple Deco object [White].

Last edited:

8BitWarrior

Awesome to see DarkSpine finally released! You have definitely put lots of work into it and made great use of TweenGMS as part of the package. Looking forward to seeing what people make with it. ^.^

JaimitoEs

Added the AppData to running the editor from the .exe demo!
Awesome to see DarkSpine finally released! You have definitely put lots of work into it and made great use of TweenGMS as part of the package. Looking forward to seeing what people make with it. ^.^
For you sir I have sent you a special gift! Thank you very much for the comment, I am impatient to see what people can do with the tool.
I miss emoticons to give hugs and hearts from the forum.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Again Thanks!!

Last edited:
This looks pretty cool! I like a lot of the concept that you've built. I am currently building a big top-down turn-based RPG, so I am not sure it will help me much there, but once it's done and released my daughter would like me to work on a 2.5d beat-em up concept we came up with when she was little and this might work for that. Would this support a walking area with depth like those games have if I made some adjustments? I still have a couple years development on my RPG so plenty of time to talk about it. I will buy it to support you and I look forward to the GMS2 version.

Last edited:

JaimitoEs

UPDATE 1.0.5
* The extension TweenGMS has been merged with the DarkSpine extension.
* Cleaned the appDataPack tree.

INSTALATION INSTRUCTIONS

• Download the extension and import this in your project, and then add all the files into your resource tree.

• Unzip the file "DarkSpineAppData.rar" in the local folder of your project (you must to create a folder with your project. name if this does not exists "user\appdata\local\YourProject\"Darkspine extraction").

• RUN.

Last edited:

JaimitoEs

This looks pretty cool! I like a lot of the concept that you've built. I am currently building a big top-down turn-based RPG, so I am not sure it will help me much there, but once it's done and released my daughter would like me to work on a 2.5d beat-em up concept we came up with when she was little and this might work for that. Would this support a walking area with depth like those games have if I made some adjustments? I still have a couple years development on my RPG so plenty of time to talk about it. I will buy it to support you and I look forward to the GMS2 version.
Thank you very much for your kind words @Adam Pippin , I will work hard to get Gms2 as soon as possible ...
On the beat-em up, imagine that this is exactly the same methodology as GameMakerStudio, but with the addition of the Z-buffer, it is totally viable for Top-Downs, beat-em up etc ... You can Play with the depth and transformations of your objects with or without the Zbuffer activated. What it does not have in itself is a totally 3D collision system, the collision it ´s still 2d, but the camera is adapting to give that impression. So totally yes! a perspective beat-em up can be done in the same way but profiting the 3d!:) @Adam Pippin Thank you for your support!!! Yesterday I was so tired that I didn't read about your contribution! Much love for you Man!!!

Last edited:

JaimitoEs

Starting the level intermediate tutorials, object scripting:
*Attention: There is a mistake in the first example! Rookie mistake! in this case the script *dks_level_load* Need to be passed with the 2 original variables. Looking like this: "dks_level_load( level_folder, level_name)". Sorry for the inconvenient! * Deco object execute by default a draw method, we can choose a non-inherit draw event, writing your draws on your custom object, also you can setup a new draw method script hover the deco object from the editor without the need to break the deco draw event.

Enjoy!

I´ts fine for you if I made this in 21:9 aspect? I will try to sound more natural, listening the old videos, i´m feel like a robot...:p:rolleyes:

Last edited:

JaimitoEs

Update 1.0.6
GMS1 - Version 1.0.6. Published January 17, 2020

• The redundant code has been cleanead.
  • The script resources has been cleanead.
  • General bug fixes.
  • Undo-redo system bug fix.
  • The extension package has been cleanead.
  • Starting gms2 port.

JaimitoEs

I know I am monopolizing the forum but, I have not been able to resist sharing this with you ... I am a clone ... I promise to stop posting and continue with my work ... Greetings guys!

Change.org

dadio

Potato Overlord
GMC Elder
This is incredible!
Keep up the great work!
(And I hope you can continue to support GMS1! - lots of us still use it over GMS2 as our main development / rapid prototype tool.)

JaimitoEs

Ohhh thanks for your comment @dadio , we appreciate the encouragement! About version 1, it's my baby, it won't fall into abandonment, I'll keep improving it.:):):):):)

Edit: A tool is also being built that will be implemented in the main menu to modify our json files, such as being able to rename our assets in case these have been changed in GMS1 / 2 for example, among other functions.

Last edited:

JaimitoEs

GMS1 - Version 1.0.7. Published January 20, 2020
1.0.7: Bug fixed:

• Bugfix returning an input value when you undo an action.
  • Inproved a gui script.
  • bugfix in layer reordering settings.
GMS2 progress:

• All compatibility data removed, all are exectuted natively.
  • A group of Ui 3D draws are passed to a single buffer.
  • Cameras projection recreated.

JaimitoEs

GMS1 - Version 1.0.9. Published January 24, 2020
Important fixes:

• Bug fix selecting a sprite folder.
  • Bug fix retuning a non real data.

Last edited:

JaimitoEs

DARKSPINE GMS2 RELEASE [Read below]

GMS2 - Version 1.9.9. Published February 21, 2020

FIRST RELEASE OF DARKSPINE GMS2 VERSION

ATTENTION:

• In the GMS2 version there are 2 errors that have not yet been corrected. You can find more information on the SoloStudio website.

• Who collaborates on the official website of SoloStudioTech solving the problem will reward the community, and will be rewarded in the future. The reason why I have not started looking for the error is because I have decided to take a mental break to return with more force. If at that time the error has not been resolved, I will put myself to it and continue with the second season of DarkSpine with new features and expand this diamond in the rough.

Last edited:

JaimitoEs

I´m still continuing programming DarkSpine and reducing the price to 19.99 ... Enjoy!

We come back to still updating to the version 2.0.0!
* Working on: Documentation and bug fixes.

MARKETPLACE

DARKSPINE GMS2 RELEASE [Read below]

GMS2 - Version 1.9.9. Published February 21, 2020
FIRST RELEASE OF DARKSPINE GMS2 VERSION

ATTENTION:

• In the GMS2 version there are 2 errors that have not yet been corrected. You can find more information on the SoloStudio website.

Last edited:

JaimitoEs

DARKSPINE GMS2 RELEASE 2.0

UPDATE GMS2 - Version 2.0.0. Published MAY 7, 2020
GOLD RELEASE OF DARKSPINE GMS2 VERSION

FIXED PRICE OF 29,99 DOLLARS

///UPDATE 2.0
* New dynamic camera system has been implemented.
* Added 2 global mouse variables [global.mouse_xd] and [global.mouse_yd] to manage any camera system.
* Bug fix when you resize the application surface.
* Fixed some Gui elements
* The 80% of the Core and Custom objects has been documented.
* The scripting core modes and setters has been documented.
* The Terrain tool has been documented.
* The Editor Scripting core has been edited.
* The Physics scripting core has been documented.
* A set of script has been renamed or deleted.
* The Level scrpits system has been documented.
* The vertex buffer system has been documented.
* The Json file managment has been documented.
* The resource tree has been reoganized for a better managment.
* The managment of the ingame scripts has been documented.
* The menu managment has been documented.
* The realtime simulation launcher has been documented.
* The workspace scripts has been documented.
* Cleaned a ton of redudant code of the most important scripts.
* Cleaned a set of scripts that was contain some spaguetti coding (probaly i will found more from prototyped scripts).
* Added text and color indentification for the nearest object relative to the mouse,
telling us if a deco object is transformed into another and executed [lime],
if this contains the id for a future swap [orange],
of if this one is a simple Deco object [White].

JaimitoEs

Update 2.0.1
* Bugfix exiting and entering into the workspace while we are managing the animation mode.
* Bugfix managing a particle system in Tween mode.
[ Working on Tween Ghosted sequences.]

JaimitoEs

Next updates (in 2 or 3 days, i´m testing):

3D interface (manage the editor in any perspective):

Dinamic view/projection/window resizer:

3D tween sequences:

JaimitoEs

GMS2 - Version 2.1.0. Published June 6, 2020
UPDATE 2.1.0

• Minor bug fixes.
  • Crash fix in multiselection mode. Now it works with chaining operations.
  • ADDED THE NEW TWEEN SEQUENCES TOOL.
  • ADDED A CALLBACK TO EXECUTE A SCRIPT FROM THE START/END SCRIPT FOR EVERY NODE OF A SEQUENCE.
  • THE UI INTERFACE ARE NOW COMPATIBLE IN 3D MODE.
  • If an object contains a variable called "z", the tween sequence property "Depth" is automatically changed to "z".
  • Added a quick view access in the Ui to see the transformation settings of a target.
  • Bug fix in a false traslation with a targeted object while we are canceling a question panel.
  • THE LEVEL PACKAGE HAS BEEN UPDATED WITH A NEW LEVEL WITH A TWEEN SEQUENCE EXAMPLE.
  • More functions are cleaned/optimized.
  • Added a new cleaned package structure with a new level demo adding more draws and sequences.

JaimitoEs

GMS2 - Version 2.2.0. Published June 13, 2020
//UPDATE 2.2.0
  • Tween Scriptable in 3 different events (Play,End,Stop) for each node.
  • Added a third column to call a script when we are Stopping a tween of any node.
  • Bugfix in the coordinates of an added node in 3D orthografic/Fixed mode.
  • Added some Tween Scripts examples for the sequences.
  • Updated the pipeline optimizer.
  • Runtime level update 0.838.
  • Added a new level in the folder "included files", you can call this level from the editor, after this is automatically added on the list.

Last edited:

pixeldrama

Ok, the DARSKPINE room with the editor launches.
1. When selecting play and going through a portal, it only loads the terrain and everything else disappears.
2. I fail to see how I could use it with an existing project. Everything would have to be recreated in the darkspine editor.
3. Also, when accessing various menus (keep in mind I don't know how to use it, so I'm exploring), I get things like the screenshot attached.
If anything, I think your product will really benefit from adding exception handling (at least for arrays) and also some (a lot of) documentation explaining the tools, menus etc.(not just the messages on the bottom).
There's no point in making it look user friendly if you need to know how to use it in advance and it just replaces the gamemaker IDE.

Thank you for your time on replying, I hope you don't take my messages in a negative way. I assure you I really wanted to use your project.
I would suggest focusing on the current features and UX and polishing those, before adding new ones. As a developer, I realize you take pleasure in implementing new things, but in order for others to use them, you need to make the editor more accessible and forgiving.

Good luck,
Cosmin

Attachments

JaimitoEs

GMS2 - Version 2.2.1. Published August 16, 2020
//UPDATE 2.2.1
* BUGFIX inserting negative numbers in Tween Mode.

JaimitoEs

Ok, the DARSKPINE room with the editor launches.
1. When selecting play and going through a portal, it only loads the terrain and everything else disappears.
2. I fail to see how I could use it with an existing project. Everything would have to be recreated in the darkspine editor.
3. Also, when accessing various menus (keep in mind I don't know how to use it, so I'm exploring), I get things like the screenshot attached.
If anything, I think your product will really benefit from adding exception handling (at least for arrays) and also some (a lot of) documentation explaining the tools, menus etc.(not just the messages on the bottom).
There's no point in making it look user friendly if you need to know how to use it in advance and it just replaces the gamemaker IDE.

Thank you for your time on replying, I hope you don't take my messages in a negative way. I assure you I really wanted to use your project.
I would suggest focusing on the current features and UX and polishing those, before adding new ones. As a developer, I realize you take pleasure in implementing new things, but in order for others to use them, you need to make the editor more accessible and forgiving.

Good luck,
Cosmin
The first apologies for the delay in answering! From what I see, you tried to switch Sprite in multi-edit mode, I'll look at the bug and fix it.
Meanwhile it is best to change sprites from Edit mode (Color Orange).
On the documentation, yes, there is still a lot to write. I have not had much time to dedicate to this section. About the Ui, I plan to change it for something professional, I am studying the case.
For Existing project, only 1 room is needed to use the DarkSpine tool, where we put the object "DarkSpine_launcher" to start creating a level from the editor, that means this room needs to be in the first position of your level resource tree, after creating any thing, to load a Json file, you don´t need the editor, just calling the script "dks_level_load" in a room It's enough to see the results.

For your first point, i need more info of the problem, are you talking about the default demo? or a level created by yourself?

If you are talking about mix a room created in GameMaker with the DarkSpine Tool, this is not possible (i have not tested this) and yes, the levels created with DarkSpine needs to be created from scratch in a blank room, where the loaded and unloaded levels happens in the same room. While you load a level using "dks_level_load", any previous level instanced with the Deco object is destroyed, that means any active level is destroyed before the new level is loaded.

Last edited:

JaimitoEs

• GMS2.3 - Version 2.3.10. Published August 19, 2020
    UPDATE 2.3.10
    • Project Converted to 2.3, the following updates will be named as 2.3.xx.
    • CrashFix in MultiEditMode blocking the sprite selection in multiple objects.
    • The sprite editor can now reproduce all Spine animations to make it easier to select a sprite.
    • The entire project has been moved to a single folder, making it much easier to update the extension.

JaimitoEs

DarkSpine GMS2.3 - Version 2.3.11. Published August 21, 2020
UPDATE 2.3.11 Gml_sintax_update

• The GML syntax has been adapted to version 2.3. At the moment the arrays and their functions.
  • Fixed the keyword "other" that cause issues in 2.3.
  • Cleaned the 100% of Obsolete Functions and keyframes.
  • DarkSpine is 100% functional again.
You don´t need anymore to move the data package, check the link to see the installation instructions.

Last edited:

JaimitoEs

UPDATE 2.3.12
* CrashFix executing a particle system before set any feature from the particle editor.
* Bugfix drawing tween sequence nodes.
* Bugfix drawing vectors in polygon mode.
You don´t need anymore to move the data package, check the link to see the installation instructions.

JaimitoEs

UPDATE 2.3.13
* CrashFix leaving an empty folder in the sprite menu.
* CrashFix adding a new layer in GMS 2.3 version.

JaimitoEs

DarkSpine GMS2.3 - Version 2.3.15. Published August 26, 2020
Ide_improvements

• BugFix swapping terrain textures with the shortcut keys [WASD].
  • Setting a texture of a vertex buffer now changes automatically the draw method to "dks_draw_vertex".
  • Added a buffer to draw a room box.
  • CrashFix changing the depth of a layer when you mix from the input box characters and numbers.
  • CrashFix copy/pasting an object from la level to another one.

JaimitoEs

GMS2.3 - Version 2.3.16. Published August 28, 2020
Nodes-BugFixes

• BugFix selecting bezier nodes in a non-closed polygon.
  • BufFix hiding/showing the bezier nodes by pressing the ALT key in a non-closed polygon.
  • Code style cleaned in all scripts.

JaimitoEs

UPDATE 2.3.17
* Tween Resume fix.
* Changed the order executing the initial tweens while we are loading a level, giving you the the possibility to stop them.
* Bug fix adding and selecting sprites.
* Bug fix input detection in tween mode.
* Bug fix loading the editor in vertex mode.

JaimitoEs

GMS2.3 - Version 2.3.18. Published December 22, 2020
UPDATE 2.3.18

• Bug fix with grid color option settings now you can set the grid color properly like other objects.
  • Grid color are now saved in the workspace.
  • Object colouring are now an undoable action.
  • Bug fix setting childs and switching into another setter.
Merry christmas!🎅

hi, is there any documentation of this tool? This asset could be great but right now I'm struggling on "how to create a new room". I watched the youtube vids but a real basic tutorial - a hello world of DarkSpine so to say - would be highly appreciated: how to create a new room, how to export it. The real basic stuff.

A

altlabrat

So, has anyone actually tried using this to attempt to make something finished?

I know the asking price is tiny for the dev time that has already been put into it, but it's also steep if it ends up being a fancy tech demo that can't be incorporated into a project.

How much is baked into the engine and how much can it be extended without having to edit it's core?

Can you add enemies? bosses? edit the player physics? give skills to the character? can you make your own physics characters/enemies using gm's functions and drop them into a level created with darkspine?

JaimitoEs

GMS2.3 - Version 2.3.20. Published May 7, 2021
UPDATE 2.3.20
: * CrashFix related with the new array accessors.

JaimitoEs

hi, is there any documentation of this tool? This asset could be great but right now I'm struggling on "how to create a new room". I watched the youtube vids but a real basic tutorial - a hello world of DarkSpine so to say - would be highly appreciated: how to create a new room, how to export it. The real basic stuff.
I think we have taked a personal conversation, i hope you solve your doubts about the engine.

JaimitoEs

So, has anyone actually tried using this to attempt to make something finished?

I know the asking price is tiny for the dev time that has already been put into it, but it's also steep if it ends up being a fancy tech demo that can't be incorporated into a project.

How much is baked into the engine and how much can it be extended without having to edit it's core?

Can you add enemies? bosses? edit the player physics? give skills to the character? can you make your own physics characters/enemies using gm's functions and drop them into a level created with darkspine?
I am currently working for an indie studio and we have implemented DarkSpine as a level editor. So yes, the engine is compatible to create any game. About modifying physics, of course, you can modify absolutely any physical object created in the editor. To add logic and make an object from your library compatible with DarkSpine, I suggest you watch the latest Youtube video "object scripting".

Joe Ellis

^I downloaded darkspine (when it was open source) and it's a complete working project. It has an extensive amount of source code and working objects.
For anyone looking for an already built engine that they can build upon, this is everything you could ask for.
I guess a full documentation would be really helpful though. But you have to realize that only one guy has made this whole thing, so it'll take some time for him to document everything.
Also, I don't want to sound elitist but working with the level of programming done with this engine requires quite a lot of prior experience, and ability to understand and work with the things in the engine. I would think of it as a time saver for you doing it yourself, plus a few good ideas (that are rare) and ingenuity of making everything work together well. But you still need to be proficient enough with programming to understand all the source code and be able to work with it.
If you're going to make a game with an engine this advanced then you need to (as the lead programmer) understand how it works.

JaimitoEs

^I downloaded darkspine (when it was open source) and it's a complete working project. It has an extensive amount of source code and working objects.
For anyone looking for an already built engine that they can build upon, this is everything you could ask for.
I guess a full documentation would be really helpful though. But you have to realize that only one guy has made this whole thing, so it'll take some time for him to document everything.
Also, I don't want to sound elitist but working with the level of programming done with this engine requires quite a lot of prior experience, and ability to understand and work with the things in the engine. I would think of it as a time saver for you doing it yourself, plus a few good ideas (that are rare) and ingenuity of making everything work together well. But you still need to be proficient enough with programming to understand all the source code and be able to work with it.
If you're going to make a game with an engine this advanced then you need to (as the lead programmer) understand how it works.
Thank you very much for your words! Thanks to your contribution, you understand the work that there is, and I hope it can bring many successes to the community as your excellent 3d editor is doing. Yes, it is true that you need a certain level to understand the code, it would be indicated for an intermediate level user, but let's let them adopt it little by little.

I think we have taked a personal conversation, i hope you solve your doubts about the engine.
Yeah, thanks!

That reminds me I still had a few questions: Is all collision handled with the gm physics system ? Can you give a short answer how I would go about using it with a custom hand made solution?
Basically what I'm asking for is:
1. Is there a way to turn off the physics ?
2. I don't need an explanation for polygon collision, but is there some class, object or place where I would get straight access to instances polygon vertices coords?
3. Or do you recommend that the engine was not written for such a use case and it would probably not worth the effort ?

Thanks again! Great work!
Cheers!

JaimitoEs

Yeah, thanks!

That reminds me I still had a few questions: Is all collision handled with the gm physics system ? Can you give a short answer how I would go about using it with a custom hand made solution?
Basically what I'm asking for is:
1. Is there a way to turn off the physics ?
2. I don't need an explanation for polygon collision, but is there some class, object or place where I would get straight access to instances polygon vertices coords?
3. Or do you recommend that the engine was not written for such a use case and it would probably not worth the effort ?

Thanks again! Great work!
Cheers!
The first thing, forgive me for the time to answer you. The physical world can be turned off manually if it is not needed, however if you do not create any physical object, it does not interfere with the performance of the game if you do not need this. To control collisions, you have 2 variables that control polygons, poly_list, and poly_s. The best example of how to control collisions you have in the object, obj_hero, in its collision event. There you can see the calculations of how the player adapts to the terrain.

JaimitoEs

What is promised is debt [UNDER CREATIVE COMMONS V1 LICENCE.
Git hub repository:
Because new lessons are learned every day, and unite we can make bigger progress. I feel that this project belongs to the whole world, without owners, without conditions. I hope you enjoy this editor and bring you a lot of happiness. Feel free to modify it, redistribute it, or sell an improved version of it. For gamers, I hope you can soon enjoy future contributions, stories ..... And that magic is preserved that leaves us all dazzled every time we unseal a video game and take the leading role, euphoric to discover new worlds. Much love guys🥰.

YOYOGAMES, I hope you have been able to get great ideas from this extension to improve your product. I look forward to the day you can implement live coding and live room editing in the near future. Best wishes to you.

duckwater

Ok, so I'm having problems installing DarkSpine. I can't access the website, if I install it through marketplace it doesn't go in my library. it just sends me a zip file. I hope you can help me with the issue I'm having!
(even though this is in 2022...)

Akkuuu

You can export the file and run it using Game Maker 2.3.

I have a question everyone, the rope system in this asset, how can we export only that feature. It's very confusing, I've been trying to debugging it but I'm just so lost how it works. Can anyone help?