• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Free Dark Spasm - Berzerk-inspired Third person shooter

hijong park

https://hijong-park.itch.io/dark-spasm

Dark Spasm is my first attempt of making a 3D game with game maker : studio.
It's a Third person shooter heavily inspired by Berzerk, wolfenstein 3D, Doom, and Xybots.

Since this game is a very experimental project, I personally think the overall quality of this game is not good enough to satisfy me. The limitations and optimization issues of Game maker also restricted the level design a lot, so the levels are a lot smaller and simpler than they were suppossed to be.

There are 4 episodes in this game. 1~3 Episodes are hand-crafted levels, and Episode 0 is an endless survival shooter in procedurally generated mazes. Don't expect something like Roguelike shooter, The mazes are very primitive.

With the experiences from this project, I'll make a more polished 3D shooter next time. I'm thinking about a battlezone-style arena shooter or an expanded concept of Episode 0 with proper random map generation.

SIG.

This is cool! I remember Berzerk, it was one of the best games of its era. I immediately got the Xybots vibe. When Xybots finally came out on modern consoles, I was crushed that it didn't have an ending. It's great that you've decided to have episodes. I've always been most captured by games with at least the thinnest story and final goal, even if it's just getting some version of the Amulet of Yendor.

hijong park

This is cool! I remember Berzerk, it was one of the best games of its era. I immediately got the Xybots vibe. When Xybots finally came out on modern consoles, I was crushed that it didn't have an ending. It's great that you've decided to have episodes. I've always been most captured by games with at least the thinnest story and final goal, even if it's just getting some version of the Amulet of Yendor.
I preper simple arcade games with no end. When there's an end in the game and I once reach it, I completely lose the desire to play that game ever again. For a similar reason I never rewatch the whole movie or TV show after watching it.