• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Dark Racing

M

Misty

I noticed a trend of high energy, positive and uplifting racing games being popular in arcades. But I wonder if you did the exact opposite, would it still work?

Could you have a game like Dark Racing, a morbid, depressing race game with low saturated colors and low testosterone? Or is it a fact of mathematics that racing games MUST be high octane and happy?

I noticed the explanation for this is the Goth...Goth is sort of depressing but still high octane. I've seen goth racing games they are "okay". But I'm talking about a game that is dark and depressing like grim colors and a racer who is always complaining, finds racing meaningless, and is sad at life...could it actually be good?

Niels

I found that dark and grim themes usually only work when combined with humor. That's why tim burtons films work so well and even a serieus and grim game like the witcher has humor in it.