GameMaker Cutscenes like Shantae

F

Forrest Crocker

Hi there, I'm new and still currently learning from tutorials about GameMaker Studio 2. I'm trying to build a 2D platformer while adding in 2D animation scenes for several projects but that's for later after I've figured out everything. My question is has anyone figured how to do cutscenes or 2D Stills like Shantae or other game titles?Shantae1.jpg Shantae2.jpg Shantae3.jpg ?

I have a Mac OS, El Capitan, 4GB Ram, Updated GameMaker Studios 2 Trial. I can Animate on TVPaint software, Draw and paint on Sketchbook Pro and Photoshop software with ease. If you have any questions please ask.

Thank you for reading and your time.

RangerX

Basically, if you know about having a sprite and text appear on screen, you're good to go because that's all there is to it.
What is the real part you're blocking on?

F

Forrest Crocker

Basically, if you know about having a sprite and text appear on screen, you're good to go because that's all there is to it.
What is the real part you're blocking on?
That makes sense using sprites. I think my main concern is that I'm a terrible coder and I'm mainly relying on presets already ready for use till my coding skills get better. To be honest I'm worried that certain sprites will be stuck there or cut off before they're finished. How are interactions set or animations set for cutscenes or conversations?

You can really do what you want with GameMaker. There are no limitations outside of RAM and processor speed.

The interactions and cut scenes are however you make them.

In this case I'd recommend a text box (that you make) at a depth of say -900 (negative numbers appear last so they appear over) and a sprite character object with depth - 800 (so it appears below the text box).

Since they are at the depth they are the rest of the game appears below it.

Sprites will not be stuck there as they are drawn when the event is drawn. You either destroy the object or stop using draw_self() in a draw event. The only way they could be stuck there is if you use a much more complex draw surface, and don't free the surface.

I have been working with something similar where its:
- game
- background over the game (can be one object)
- character sprite (can be one object)
- text box (can be one object)

Advanced users can make 1 single object for background over the game, character sprite and the text box... or of course have no background at all.

Excuse my terrible puns

CMAllen

Given that this is GMS2, the layers system is also an option to look into using (the above post refers to the deprecated depth variable that may or may not be available in future versions of GML). Create your cut scene object (or objects) on a given layer that sits above whatever layer contains all your main game elements (or however much of it you want to be behind these cut scene bits), have them draw the correct character sprites, then draw their text boxes and text. This can be done as a single object, in fact, that controls the entire cut scene before destroying itself once its role has been fulfilled.

F

Forrest Crocker

You can really do what you want with GameMaker. There are no limitations outside of RAM and processor speed.

The interactions and cut scenes are however you make them.

In this case I'd recommend a text box (that you make) at a depth of say -900 (negative numbers appear last so they appear over) and a sprite character object with depth - 800 (so it appears below the text box).

Since they are at the depth they are the rest of the game appears below it.

Sprites will not be stuck there as they are drawn when the event is drawn. You either destroy the object or stop using draw_self() in a draw event. The only way they could be stuck there is if you use a much more complex draw surface, and don't free the surface.

I have been working with something similar where its:
- game
- background over the game (can be one object)
- character sprite (can be one object)
- text box (can be one object)

Advanced users can make 1 single object for background over the game, character sprite and the text box... or of course have no background at all.

Excuse my terrible puns

That's awesome! And thank you for the tip! What's the name of your project there?

F

Forrest Crocker

Given that this is GMS2, the layers system is also an option to look into using (the above post refers to the deprecated depth variable that may or may not be available in future versions of GML). Create your cut scene object (or objects) on a given layer that sits above whatever layer contains all your main game elements (or however much of it you want to be behind these cut scene bits), have them draw the correct character sprites, then draw their text boxes and text. This can be done as a single object, in fact, that controls the entire cut scene before destroying itself once its role has been fulfilled.
Thank you for the tip, I'll definitely try that out.