• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Discussion Custom Sprite Framework does not run correctly in GMS2

As you know,there is no official way to create personal texture page from external image.
That's a shame.So i find many way,and the Custom Sprite Framework(Braffolk) give me a little bit of hope.
But when i run the project(with the Custom Sprite Framework) in GMS2,there's some problems with the texture page(include internal/external sprites),e.g. the spirte loss or wrong direction.
The project is running normally in GMS1.4,I don't known what the problem is.

The files of my project(1.4&2.0):
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AqPuixK5DTh2a7U1QiPLabtjjlk

You should contact Braffolk since he made the framework...
The project is running normally in GMS1.4,and import the project in GMS2.0,I don't see any problem.
When i use the scripts in GMS2.0,the direction of the sprite which import from IDE is incorrect.
And some other spirte(import from IDE too) is lost when i transfer to other room.
I think the problem is GMS2.0.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
You are using an extension designed for 1.4 in a product that it wasn't designed for... 2.0 has a fair few changes in how it works and it is very probable that the framework you are using will not work, which is why I say you should contact Braffolk. He created the extension, he knows how it works, and only he can check to see what may or may not be needing changed for GMS2. I can't debug someone else's framework for them, and until you rule out the possibility that the framework is at fault you can't claim that it is a bug in GMS2.

Last edited:

Juju

I believe other people have ported parts of that extension. I'll contact them to see if they can help.

S

Salvakiya

You are using an extension designed for 1.4 in a product that it wasn't designed for... 2.0 has a fair few changes in how it works and it is very probable that the framework you are using will not work, which is why I say you should contact Braffolk. He created the extension, he knows how it works, and only he can check to see what may or may not be needing changed for GMS2. I can't debug someone else's framework for them, and until you rule out the possibility that the framework is at fault you can't claim that it is a bug in GMS2.
given that there are compatibility scripts I would expect that YYG would support such an extension. correct me if I am wrong... but it sounds more like using sprite_add corrupts sprites which already existed in the IDE? if so this is a serious bug and should be reported. I have heard of other issues when changing rooms though I have never run into any of these because I never change rooms but maybe once ever =P.

Either way one should consider the following... the extension works in GMS1.4, and there are compatibility scripts for GMS2, and GMS2 did not give you any errors on importing the extension, and that it does not work in GMS2, one can deduce that GMS2 is at fault somewhere. GMS2 is in beta and if you use it expect to be reporting bugs. Alot of bugs...

gnysek

I think, that YYG doesn't support any of extensions, as they didn't wrote them :) They can fix bugs in runner or IDE if you find them, but they won't fix bugs in your code, especially when things changed on GMS2. I don't know this extension, but it probably uses d3d_set_rotation etc. which is removed now, and there are compatibility scripts, but they are 1000x more complicate and here may be the issue.

S

Salvakiya

I think, that YYG doesn't support any of extensions, as they didn't wrote them :) They can fix bugs in runner or IDE if you find them, but they won't fix bugs in your code, especially when things changed on GMS2. I don't know this extension, but it probably uses d3d_set_rotation etc. which is removed now, and there are compatibility scripts, but they are 1000x more complicate and here may be the issue.
ahh too right... YYG wont "support" any community made extension. I should have worded that differently.. However if it does use d3d_set_rotation I would still blame GMS2 for failing to warn the user on import. This is the dangerous hard hard road YYG chose to go down when they made their compatibility scripts.

When compatibility scripts fail to warn the user that they are not compatible it is not the users fault... since the extension works in GMS1.4 and not in GMS2 I would call that a failure on GMS2's part.

EDIT: the extension actually uses draw_background_general to draw its rotated sprites.

EDIT2: I am currently installing GMS2 so I can look at the issue myself.

EDIT3: make a bug report and send YYG your zip file. This is a bug and it needs fixing. I am 99% sure it has to do with the new view system... when you run d3d_end() it must not reset things back to default... this kinda makes sense too because the issues I hear other people are having in GMS2 are with views atm.

Last edited:
I thingk No matter what I do, The running project can't delete the internal spirte or draw the sprite in wrong direction with the same code same room.

ahh too right... YYG wont "support" any community made extension. I should have worded that differently.. However if it does use d3d_set_rotation I would still blame GMS2 for failing to warn the user on import. This is the dangerous hard hard road YYG chose to go down when they made their compatibility scripts.

When compatibility scripts fail to warn the user that they are not compatible it is not the users fault... since the extension works in GMS1.4 and not in GMS2 I would call that a failure on GMS2's part.

EDIT: the extension actually uses draw_background_general to draw its rotated sprites.

EDIT2: I am currently installing GMS2 so I can look at the issue myself.

EDIT3: make a bug report and send YYG your zip file. This is a bug and it needs fixing. I am 99% sure it has to do with the new view system... when you run d3d_end() it must not reset things back to default... this kinda makes sense too because the issues I hear other people are having in GMS2 are with views atm.
https://yoyogames.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/120614
I haven't received any reply for 11 days.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
You may not have recieved a reply because (as I have been trying to point out) you are simply saying "it doesn't work" and that's it. The more information you can give the quicker (and better) the response is, which is why I suggested contacting Braffolk to discover the source of the error. Once you have the source you can make a basic simple project that shows what's up and file a bug if required. Seriously, the devs do not want to have to wade through a whole project that wasn't even created by the person filing the bug in the hope that there is an issue. It could be one of a million things!

. I am 99% sure it has to do with the new view system... when you run d3d_end() it must not reset things back to default... this kinda makes sense too because the issues I hear other people are having in GMS2 are with views atm.
If you can create (or give clear instructions) on how to replicate the bug, please file it, and I appreciate you investigating.

S

Salvakiya

If you can create (or give clear instructions) on how to replicate the bug, please file it, and I appreciate you investigating.
well the OP did give an example and it is pretty clear what the issue is... the project is specifically there to demonstrate the bug. This is why I do not use GMS2 because I simply do not have the time to point out the many many issues GMS2 has. There are just too many working engines out there( GM8.1 and GMS1.4 included) for me to spend time trying to convince YYG their Beta product is broken. I might be a bit harsh but reporting issues should not feel like a chore.

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
@Salvakiya - nice attitude!

what bug... I have been through them all and I cannot recall anything like what has been described here and we are actively fixing bugs across the board at the moment.

We see a lot of something does not work! bugs coming through with no attached project or any details... those bugs get requests for more info and then binned if there is no reply, watch you don't fall into that trap.

Russell

S

Salvakiya

@Salvakiya - nice attitude!

what bug... I have been through them all and I cannot recall anything like what has been described here and we are actively fixing bugs across the board at the moment.

We see a lot of something does not work! bugs coming through with no attached project or any details... those bugs get requests for more info and then binned if there is no reply, watch you don't fall into that trap.

Russell
XD I did say I was probably being harsh. Though it would be nice if there was a support IRC channel to expedite the process of bug reporting. If one were to open the OP's project one would see the bug as it has nothing to do with the alternate sprite system.

Anyhow this is what the OP's project does:

place object with a sprite in a room...
change rooms and start a 3d projection...
end that 3d projection and change back to first room...
object's sprite will be upside down. in fact it appears the room is upside down? <==(bug)

This is using compatibility scripts for d3d_start, d3d_end, d3d_set_projection_ext.