• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE Custom IDE hotkeys? (For most if not all editors)

Cpaz

So far the only real issue i've had that hasn't been an oversight on my part, or easily fixed (also on my part) is hotkeys. There is an odd lack of them. Most notably in the image editor. GMS 1.4 set how I will always use art programs (That being my left hand on the drawing device, the right hand on E,D, and C).

Now, I understand that pretty much every single user has a different preference for how they use an IDE. Because of this, I have to Ask: are custom hotkeys coming anytime soon?

I could swear that I saw a hotkey listing somewhere in the preferences. But now that I can't find it, I realize that I might have mistaken it with GMS 1.4 abysmal hotkey "list."

Needless to say, are more shortcuts coming in the future period? A quick combination that can to IDE actions quickly without slowing anyone down.

S

sogun

We desperately need to be able to change IDE shortcuts:
(for me these especially)

CTRL+INS = copy code
SHIFT+INS = paste code

Look how it works wonderfully in this superb forum engine!

S

Storyteller

The redefined keys stuff isn't ready yet I'm afraid, it will come .... but I've no timeline on it yet.
your roadmap this year is all about getting the export modules working, and getting the IDE on all the big platforms, Win, Mac and Linux. Its cool. You have day-1 bugs to deal with and general improvements. We all know, the software is in 'gamma', that version after beta where you are still in beta but calling it a release. Its cool. Keep up the good work.

Its good to know more user customization is on the list. half the requests and comments are 'please make the software more the way I want it'
giving us all those options, is definitely the way to go. Yes, please, please give us more hotkeys.

If you want to really appeal to the broadest users, add a 'custom toolbar' to things. In this 3d modeling program Hexagon, there is a user toolbox. you can drag any icon to it and move it around on screen. So you dont need to shift tabs ( a big thing in their workflow) to get to commonly used tools. You can define your workflow as you go. So if you 'bevel, extrude, rotate' a lot, you can drag those 3 icons down, or if you 'create cube, bridge faces, subdivide' a lot, you can use those, or maybe 'make splines, lathe tool' you have those. While a lot of people like hotkeys, some do not, especially if you use a digitizer (or in my case a laptop convertible with a wacom digitizer/stylus) for drawing. Having your toolbox anywhere on screen would be really useful for a LOT of people (imho). Being able to define custom hotkeys, and then make that shortcut an icon in a little toolbar you can position next to where you are working would be good. I literally have no keyboard if I use my tablet mode, the screen covers it. Onscreen keyboards would just fail for hotkeys.

TL'DR: yes please do custom hotkeys, also, let us make icons for those shortcuts in a custom tool bar we can move around screen at will for people that prefer a mouse or stylus for input over the keyboard.

Cpaz

If you want to really appeal to the broadest users, add a 'custom toolbar' to things. In this 3d modeling program Hexagon, there is a user toolbox. you can drag any icon to it and move it around on screen. So you dont need to shift tabs ( a big thing in their workflow) to get to commonly used tools. You can define your workflow as you go. So if you 'bevel, extrude, rotate' a lot, you can drag those 3 icons down, or if you 'create cube, bridge faces, subdivide' a lot, you can use those, or maybe 'make splines, lathe tool' you have those. While a lot of people like hotkeys, some do not, especially if you use a digitizer (or in my case a laptop convertible with a wacom digitizer/stylus) for drawing. Having your toolbox anywhere on screen would be really useful for a LOT of people (imho). Being able to define custom hotkeys, and then make that shortcut an icon in a little toolbar you can position next to where you are working would be good. I literally have no keyboard if I use my tablet mode, the screen covers it. Onscreen keyboards would just fail for hotkeys.
Real quick: To those people... Let's also avoid the whole purist mindset of "If you're not using exclusively the keyboard for most everything, you're doing it wrong." Not everyone works well like that.

But I also agree. Having ways to customize the IDE would get rid of most of the complaints aimed towards the changes.

This is also why i'm psyched for plugins.

I'm also surprised that they don't emphasize the 3d tool more than they have been. As we've seen, they (seem) much more robust than the GMS1.4 tools. That, or they cut a lot more corners and made it much easier to make more complicated projects.

But honestly, I just want a shortcut to quickly minimize the side panels (resources, output console, etc) and I'll be happy for now.

S

Storyteller

you can click the edge of the side panels, not sure if there is a hotkey form them. that sounds somewhat useful though.
Making the output panel at the bottom auto-hide when not in use would be good.