1. Hey! Guest! The 32nd GMC Jam will take place between Feb 22nd, 12:00 UTC (Friday noon) and Feb 25th, 12:00 UTC (Monday noon). Why not join in! Click here to find out more!
    Dismiss Notice

GMS 2 Custom 3d rendering and 'slave' cameras

Discussion in 'Programming' started by Benjamin Herne, Feb 13, 2019 at 6:56 AM.

Tags:
  1. Benjamin Herne

Benjamin Herne Member

This is really a "Is it possible, and if so, is it reasonable?" type question. So, I've got an idea, basically to build a custom (very basic) 3d system in GMS2. Simple enough for now. What I also intend to do is set it up such that the main game window hosts a local server. From there, multiple 'slave' windows can also be launched/created. These join the server and act as auxiliary cameras, allowing the player to have a wider FOV. Is this possible, I was thinking it would be a nice test of my skills, and a 'nice to have' for a multi-monitor system. Or alternatively, one could be used to display a minimap or something, so as to allow the maximum amount of screen real estate for the main game.
    So that actual question:

1. Is it possible?
    2. Should I reasonably expect this to work and not be a buggy piece of ****?

Thanks for your time.

2. CloseRange

CloseRange Member

building 3d is indeed possible with game maker. Though If you mean making your own engine for it (dealing with matricies in order to render the objects on screen) then you should just stick with the game maker built in 3d as you probobly won't make it any more efficient and there is no point in reinventing the wheel.
    As for having multiple windows in game maker this is not possible (at least not that I'm aware). Other programs are fine with this and will not lag because you have multiple windows open, though idk how to do it any any programs as I never cared enough to try.
    With other languages having multiple windows does not change anything or make things more laggy because all windows are run off the same code and so communicating between them is as easy as storing each window in a variable and referencing the one you want to draw to.

In game maker if you reallllly want to do this your best bet is to have multiple "games" and have each one get opened at once (i'm not sure if you can open another program in code or what would have to happen if you close one window)
    but then you just have the games communicate with eachother over a small local network, this shouldn't cause much lag what-so-ever because it only has to communicate with its own computer but it would just be annoying to program.

3. Benjamin Herne

Benjamin Herne Member

Ok cool. So not practical, but technically possible. Might do it, even if only for the experience. Thanks for the help.

4. flyingsaucerinvasion

flyingsaucerinvasion Member

I'm not entirely sure what your idea is about. But there is absolutely no reason why you couldn't have multiple 3d views, or 2d, or both, all in one window.

5. The Sorcerer

The Sorcerer Member

Really? I'm all for re-inventing the wheel. But that's just me.

Last time I checked my matrix algorithms were between 400% to 600% faster than Microsoft's own implementation.

This one is 600% faster and a drop in replacement for MatrixPerspectiveFovLH().

Your welcome :D

6. CloseRange

CloseRange Member

if you want to reinvent the wheel then why use game maker? In a sense it is the wheel so why not create your own entire game engine in c++ yourself.
    Heck why use c++ they just built it on top of c and that's built on Assembly language (at least I think that's the next step) So why not just build all of your games with assembly so you can reinvent the wheel?
    Actually all of that only works on your computer so why not build your own computer? And I don't mean buy the parts and put them together like build the computer. If you want to reinvent the wheel build the cpu, gpu and all the pieces by hand, 3D print parts that you designed yourself or find some way to mold the pieces, buy all the copper wiring and only then can you make sure it's as efficient as you want.

I know that was a bit sarcastic and I think everyone should reinvent the wheel to learn how to do it but not use it for their own projects
    As for Microsoft directX (I assume that's the implementation you're talking about) I don't know much about its permanence but I know Age of Conan: Unchained was made with at and it seems to run perfectly fine.
    Also I'm pretty sure Unity runs of Microsoft and lots of amazing games are made from unity.

I'm not sure how you did your performance tests and if you did them right but if you really need to get better then that then you're wasting your time making it better when you could be using that time to make your game better in other aspects or just adding more content to it.

7. Pfap

Pfap Member

Why stop at rebuilding the computer? At this point you should probably become a theoretical physicist. There job is to basically question everything, what if the way humans have been doing math is "wrong" I put it in quotation marks because what does wrong even mean? But, for reals we should find the answer to the universe and everything and to do that we must question everything, no law will stand up to the scrutiny of the imagination.

8. The Sorcerer

The Sorcerer Member

Why use GameMaker when someone else has already made a game?

Already have.

Done that too. (Note the code snippet in the last post is in assembly).

Done that too. Although it was only a little 8 bit 6502 system built at component level. But did it because I can.

Funnily enough, this is on my to do list. About as deep as I have gone is etching my own circuit boards. I did make a diode once from materials you can pull from common garden soil.

Looks $hit. Maybe I should offer them my support. With 1/6 overhead on matrix calculations, they might be able to make that look pretty good with the extra headroom they'd have.

Righto! :)

Maybe the question that should be asked is 'why'?

Answer - Because I can ;)

Ask yourself the same question, rather than telling the author, "why you shouldn't"

Siolfor the Jackal likes this.
  9. rIKmAN

rIKmAN Member

All that impressive code and you don't know when to use "your" and "you're"... :p

The Sorcerer likes this.
  10. The Sorcerer

The Sorcerer Member

You got me there. Normally I am a stickler for my own grammar. But the internet does funny things to you. I cringe when I see 'your' all the way through Mike Dailly's official YYG technical blogs too.

That one slipped through. Feel free to critique my grammar in ever other post I have done here and you'll see I am consistently grammatically correct. ;)

Always good to have the grammar police on patrol. Make the internet a safer place for all.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019 at 10:04 PM
  11. rIKmAN

rIKmAN Member

I would, but you deleted / changed the text of most of them...*cough* ;)

"ever" or "every"?
    Can I critique your spelling too? haha :D

Just pulling your leg! :)

12. The Sorcerer

The Sorcerer Member

All I am saying to @CloseRange is why limit yourself? That's all.

Bill Gates didn't say 'Hey, Mac's window system looks pretty cool' and leave it at that.

As humans, we are still pretty early in technological innovation. Why stop there?

13. flyingsaucerinvasion

flyingsaucerinvasion Member

What is the point of this conversation?

14. EvanSki

EvanSki Member

Even if you know the manual by heart, made every genera of game, you can learn and be better, there is no limit to the amount of skill in one uh..skill you can get, I can hear the grammar police knocking on my door right now.

15. The Sorcerer

The Sorcerer Member

It kind of digressed after people started recommending to the OP that he shouldn't innovate.

16. CloseRange

CloseRange Member

Yeah and I've done all that too but I still always come back to game maker.
    Like I said I think everyone should do it at some point to learn how it works but 99.9% of people shouldn't full on remake every little thing in their game.

But hey if Age of Conan looks like $hit then show us your game that looks 600% better. And if you have a game like that, then you're wasting your time arguing on here.

17. The Sorcerer

The Sorcerer Member

Truer words were never spoken. ;)

CloseRange likes this.
  18. Death

Death Member

I haven't seen ASM in decades. That is what I learned programming with, then "graduated" to higher level C, etc. Nice to see that someone still knows how to get speed and compactness. Reminds me of the 'good ole days'. Nothing will beat hand code ASM ins speed and size ever! :)

The Sorcerer likes this.
  19. Samuel Venable

Samuel Venable Time Killer

I'm not saying it isn't possible, but I find it very unlikely The Sorcerer and/or CloseRange would really even consider using GameMaker for half a second if they were really as talented enough to have done everything they have claimed. Just my two cents. @The Sorcerer remember Lonewolff? What a guy...

rIKmAN likes this.
  20. GMWolf

GMWolf aka fel666

Ignoring 1/2 the posts in here (tl;Dr)
    Sure you can do this using vertex buffers and networked instances... But why?
    At this point you will be fighting against GM and the knowledge required to pull it off would allow you to write it from scratch in c++ and OpenGL far more easily...

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019 at 8:33 AM
    rIKmAN likes this.