GML Cuphead Esque Game

1914Studios

how would I make a Cuphead like game with a minimal you could walk around and the actual boss fights, i.e when to trigger a phrase of the boss

TheouAegis

Cuphead is just a normal platform game. Follow some tutorials and guides on making a platform game, shooting, and programming simple AI.

1914Studios

Ok thank you! I am new to video game development, I.e I started 2 days ago, so yeah, but thanks again

1914Studios

Do you have a series that you recommend the most. Also do you know how to create that little area where you can walk to boss fights?

Relic

Don’t start with the walking to boss fights part. Start with the platforms, jumping and shooting then boss fighting/enemies

Game development is not like writing a book or building a house- no need to start “at the beginning” (I don’t write books so maybe authors don’t start at the beginning either- dunno!)

If you spend 2 months making a title screen, menu options, intro cut scene, waking to boss area, THEN start on the actual gameplay- you may find your idea is not very good and decide to start on a new idea. ALWAYS make the most exciting part of your game first.

I’ve not used this tutorial myself but a lot of people have recommended this series in the past.

TheouAegis

Don’t start with the walking to boss fights part. Start with the platforms, jumping and shooting then boss fighting/enemies

Game development is not like writing a book or building a house- no need to start “at the beginning” (I don’t write books so maybe authors don’t start at the beginning either- dunno!)

If you spend 2 months making a title screen, menu options, intro cut scene, waking to boss area, THEN start on the actual gameplay- you may find your idea is not very good and decide to start on a new idea. ALWAYS make the most exciting part of your game first.

I’ve not used this tutorial myself but a lot of people have recommended this series in the past.

I think a lot of authors start writing something to get their mind set on the story, then spend the rest of their life jotting down notes about ideas that came to them while they were at a cafe. Planning. Planning. Planning.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
You could be interested in this GDC talk by the Cuphead developers:

T

Taddio

I think a lot of authors start writing something to get their mind set on the story, then spend the rest of their life jotting down notes about ideas that came to them while they were at a cafe. Planning. Planning. Planning.
I wrote a book (unpublished), some short stories and dozens and dozens of songs (released 3 albums). I can assure with 1000% certainty that writing is not really about writing, it's about REwriting and how well you can be an impartial critic of your own work. The initial idea for a beginning or ending does not really matter, because by the time you're done and happy with what you've done, you'll have gone through several versions of the same thing. If you get a great ending idea: build a story that leads to it. If you come up with a clever and interesting beginning that you know you can work with, write a story that develops it.
Game dev is a hobby, but writing and music are my job so I know way more about them, but I'd say the principle could be the same: why not start with a boss idea and build a game around it? Just remember that you'll have to "rewrite "a couple of times, first drafts and final products are not the same, you'll eventually have to put all the pieces together in a way that makes sense as a whole, and won't let the user know where the original idea spawned from and give the impression the rest of it is "butched up" or rushed.
But you're SO right about planning.
And it goes the same for every job, it's a life skill, of sort. Never saw a carpenter build a house without a plan, personally!