• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Discussion CS Head recommends the feature of GMS allowing the importation of AutoCAD data for designing rooms in GMS

The head of CS department of my university , wants to recommend the idea of a GMS feature, that allows the import of data from the program called AutoCAD ( used for architectural blue print designing , AFAIK ) for the GMS Room editor. He says that if GMS were to allow the import of project files, or the data files associated with AutoCAD, the development of designing architectures and the demensions of specific details of locations in a room would have an advantage of saving time , than just spending a longer time of inventing those details alone in GMS.

To jump to his reasoning, he further states, since GMS already provides the math functions that are used in linear algebra for vectors and matrices for this work, adapting the information from AutoCAD into GMS could be utilized ( thus saving the programmer from having to invent their own method of a workable data structure for how complicated structures are represented ) and imported into the GMS, even if it was intended to be hard coded ( such as the vector data is from a defined object in GMS which are used for instances ). To continue, he argues there is nothing different between what your doing in the Room Editor vs. what you would be doing in AutoCAD when your defining what a room structure is, in a architectural context. If the environment of the game room its outside, then its landscaping , and your using AutoCAD to define the environment location .

My argument is that, the issue of YoYo Games buying the license to use AutoCAD data in GMS, would have to have a justified cause for a development of an advanced ( or professional version ) of GMS , where the end user is paying for the extra costs of this special version of GMS is valid. AutoCAD , stand alone, is not a cheap piece of software than anyone can buy in the first place, it is licensed for a year which has to be renewed, just like some of the GMS licenses that YoYo games offers. The other problem is the learning curve.

I have never heard of a game programmer using AutoCAD in this context. I strike it down, as being not feasible and non-standard.

What do you think of this suggested idea ?

If you had AutoCAD, would you use use AutoCAD to design your game rooms in GMS, if this feature was available ?

Thanks.

Roldy

Your CS Head should be capable of writing a conversion tool AutoCad -> .yy format / gml scripts. Unsure what mileage YY would get from this considered they focus on 2D and beginning designers.

Wish him luck.

If you had AutoCAD, would you use use AutoCAD to design your game rooms in GMS, if this feature was available ?
No. If I wanted a more robust toolset I would probably opt for Blender and write an export plugin.

Only people I know that use autocad do industrial design, or some such. Not too sure how it's workflow would translate in game dev, since the considerations are much different.
Most people are perfectly happy with the open-source Blender (Maybe something like Maya if you play in the big leagues).
What would be the advantages over these apps? Cause I really cant see any on the top of my head. Unless you want SUPER precise room measurements.