• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows [CRITICAL BUG] Particles in YYC and VM differ from each other

Shut

I have already submitted a bug report more than a week ago, but I haven't received any replies yet, so I thought I'd post here too.

This is what happens when I compile using YYC/VM.

All of the game particles change appearance when I compile with YYC. I really hope that this gets fixed soon, as I don't know which version is the correct one, YYC or VM?

csanyk

Can you post your code?

I can't say which is correct, but of the two I think the VM version looks better.

Shut

VM version looks better indeed and I created every particle using VM version and was surprised that it looked different on YYC version.

Code:
Fire = part_type_create();
part_type_shape(Fire , pt_shape_pixel);
part_type_size(Fire, 4, 12, 0.05, 0.05);
part_type_scale(Fire, 1, 1);
part_type_colour3(Fire, c_maroon, c_red, c_yellow);
part_type_alpha2(Fire, 1, 0);
part_type_speed(Fire, 2, 4, -0.1, 0.1);
part_type_direction(Fire, 60, 120, 1, -1);
part_type_orientation(Fire, 0, 360, 0, 0.01, 1);
part_type_blend(Fire, 1);
part_type_life(Fire, 10, 20);
I don't think this bug is code specific as all other particles change appearance too.

This is quite a critical issue, so if others can test it too and maybe find a solution please post here.

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
Please file a bug with an example project and we will take a look

Russell

Shut

Hope we won't have to wait too much for an update. I need to switch to YYC version now and since I use a lot of particles, the game looks weird.

Slyddar

I'm experiencing this same problem when compiling in YYC. Frame rate is 3x better in YYC, but most particles, some lighting and even some objects fail to show up in the YYC build.

On topic though, @Shut did the particle problem you were having in YYC get solved?

GMWolf

aka fel666
Is it possible your particles are not frame rate independent ?
Is your YYC version running at the same frame rate as your VM version?
Are you spawning X number of particles per frame?

[Edit] oh this is super old haha

Last edited:

Shut

I'm experiencing this same problem when compiling in YYC. Frame rate is 3x better in YYC, but most particles, some lighting and even some objects fail to show up in the YYC build.

On topic though, @Shut did the particle problem you were having in YYC get solved?
Man.. That was 4 years ago or something :D I've since released 3 or 4 new games, so I don't actually remember if an update fixed it or not, I think it was pre GMS 2. Right now I'm having no issues with YYC or VM particles (GMS 2).

Slyddar

As an update to this, I ran YYC a week or so later, and the same problem was not there. It all ran perfectly. There had been no updates to GM2 either, so not sure what the difference was. /shrug