• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Demo Crimson Fog

L

LuigiLuigi

Crimson Fog is a 2D action adventure game inspired by Metroid and Zelda II - Adventure of Link. You play as a bat named Ralph as he goes on an adventure to obtain 7 Crystal Medallions hidden in dungeons with the help of a cult known as the Crimson Fog. Along the way, there will be quests unlocked in Cedrus Village as you progress through the game.

The only gamepads currently installed are the Logitech Precision pad, Xbox PC controller, and the standard PC desktop controls that you'll be familiar with if you've played Terraria. I never got the gamepad detection for-loop figured out, so there might be trouble with gamepad connection. Details on the controller input are included in the uploaded file.

I've been working on it for years, mostly because I was learning as I went. I'll likely need someone else to compose music as it's too frustrating trying to make it fit the tone. I made sure to at least complete the first dungeon as well as it's mini-boss and primary boss fights before putting up the demo. The planned scope and scale of it will be pretty lengthy, which is why I can't say when it will be done.

Let me know what you guys think of the content.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a22ndhq146k1rqh/Crimson Fog.zip?dl=0

Attachments

B

Better Nature

I enjoyed the game. I haven't finished the demo yet. I'll try to come back to it a bit later. The one thing I'll say is that I feel like there aren't enough checkpoints. The reason I stopped playing is because I would venture out pretty far and then get killed, and I'd have to go through the same area over and over again to get back to where I was. It's good that you keep all your exp and items when you die. I would have gotten frustrated much sooner otherwise.

The controls are solid, and the world design is good. The combat gets a bit repetitive, but maybe that's just down to it being early in the game. I'd like some more options like roll and block to spice things up a bit.

Also, when I tried to play the intro the game crashed and I got this:

of Step Event0
for object Event_Controller:

Variable Event_Controller.Cut_Fad(100500, -2147483648) not set before reading it.
at gml_Object_Event_Controller_Step_0
############################################################################################
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
stack frame is
gml_Object_Event_Controller_Step_0 (line -1)

If I skipped the intro the game played fine.

Anyway, keep up the good work! I'm interested to see how this progresses.

L

LuigiLuigi

Thanks for the tip, I'm unable to edit the updated link though here is another one

https://www.dropbox.com/home?preview=Crimson+Fog.zip

Sorry to double-post, I still can't edit links but I did make some updates to fix some of the mechanics.

I added 2 extra save points, one for Aronia Glades and one for Boreal Crypts. I also added an extra mook and swapped a few enemies because I figure the lack of variety might have been causing repetition. Save point data is dynamic, so you may end up in a different save room if you still have a file.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wn6p7gy539u98y6/Crimson Fog.0.1.zip?dl=0

Last edited by a moderator: