• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

CRIKEYMAS - 2D platformer hammer action game

MilkMan5x

CRIKEYMAS_LOGO_ENG_B_BIG.png
One of my magnum opus about swinging around your hammer through the Santa's old abandoned lair... (YEAH HAMMERTIME™)

Backstory

Hello, I am back from the dead... With my new project up my sleeve!
Actually, The project isn't exactly new... it has been solo-developed for almost 3 months,
Starting from last year's December.

(some footages from very early build of the game)

My initial goal was to make a **short** platformer game & release it on Christmas (hence the whole Christmas-themed things & Game's title)
But as you can see, I have horribly failed to do so.
Since then, I decided to keep working on this project (almost) daily and the game has been changed a lot.
And now I am considering to make this into a full game! ..But before that, I'll have to finish & release the prototype version of this game.

About the game

(Footage demonstrating the combat system, From earlier build)

(Footage demonstrating the combat system, From current, up-to-date build)

(Footage demonstrating the possible advanced maneuvers using the hammer)

Santa has drank too much Eggnog at last new year's party and he is suffering an inevitable suffering that is Hangover.
Your mission :
Bring Santa the mythical & almighty ultimate cure for the hangover; The Einstein's omega hyper deluxe bacon™!

The game will be a christmas-themed, level-based, 2D platformer featuring hammer-based(??) melee action game, Set in (not-so) Santa's old, abandoned building.
Using the hammer, You can bash those foes that gets in your way, Do some sick pogo attack, Upwards slash attack etc.. Using those, You can increase your mobility! (Fun fact; Those aspects were heavily inspired by Team fortress 2's explosive jumps & those wacky jump maps that uses it as main gimmick.)
You can also perform some basic aerial combos when you're in mid-air!
Also while you're on ground & holding down the attack button, You can swing your hammers around with arrow keys... And you can use it to send enemies flying upwards and begin your aerial combo / chain!

Anything else

Everything in this game is and will be created all by myself, To learn about (almost) every aspect of game-making, From programming to level designs, graphics and composing, etc.
My current primary goal is to finish up the prototype version of the game featuring 10 levels & upload it to the itch.io to get some feedbacks.. And after that, I'm planning to turn it into a full game and release it on the Steam.. With tweaks based on those precious feedbacks I (hopefully) will get!
And as of now I am designing the last, 10th level of the prototype and after that I will enter the game-pollishing stage before uploading the prototype version.

CRIKEYMAS_GMC_PROMO_CUT1.png

(footage of some intro cutscene stuff)

This project is going to be one of my first experience on bigger project...
Before this, I used to make either very short arcade-y games for game jams or a bunch of tech demo that isn't really a "game".
And while developing this game, I learned some useful stuffs regarding the game's designs & feels so this project means a lot to me :D

Anywho, My prototype is being still being developed & I will post more updates through the replies...
....Stay tuned!
(I'm hella active on twitter; Check it out, I might upload very subtle changes that's too small to write a new update about it AND other projects & arts :
https://twitter.com/ZIKBAKGURI)​

Last edited:
G

GamemakerTrialUser1

Looks like shovelknight meets deff ha. Lot of great effects in there. Find it amusing the little guy can wield such a long and heavy looking hammer.

Keep at it!

MilkMan5x

Level design : Done...?

I've finished designing the 10th level! All 10 levels are now playable & beat-able, And now I'm slowly entering the game polishing phase before the prototype / beta releases..
That means the levels' design could change a wee bit from gameplay tweaks & fixes but not that much like before.

New enemies

(The sprites for new enemy you see in the GIFs are placeholder, See below for latest & up-to-date version of the sprites)
I have also added a new Ball ornaments-themed enemy that will be mainly used for gimmicks that uses aerial combo to move around the levels.
They will replace those pink, floaty, ghost-looking monsters that was used temporaliy on few levels that uses the gimmicks I've mentioned earlier... (you can see those in GIF that I have posted in the previous post), Since now I have the proper enemy for that.

New graphics

That's right, I have worked on a bunch of enemies' sprites... And animations, too!
While doing so, Some of the placeholder graphics used for enemies has been properly re-made too.
Fun fact : The green present box mimic enemy you see in above images was the first implemented enemy in the game, And their sprites were originally made waaay back in december.
But now almost all enemies (including the green present box enemy) got their sprites remade & fit the festive theme better.. Especially the ghost enemies sprites, Which were just a plain, cliche-esque pink ghost that has next to zero relation to the theme Christmas..
But after the rework, They have turned into some horrid & spooky Christmas stocking ghost.

Speaking of which, The ghost enemy has a proper attacking animation now... They'll do a lethal, ghastly touch that will make you fart out your soul.

After that, I also made some new impact particles & sprites for few states of player like damaged / charging / blocking state.
And now, I'm overhauling the particles related scripts n' stuff that I've wrote way earlier, rapid-prototyping phase into a (hopefully) better thing that will help me in the long run.
'Til then, I'll crawl back into my coffin & work on it more before I come back to post another devlog... Bye.​

Last edited:

MilkMan5x

Since I'm currently working on to make the old, messy particle code into a hopefully better system, I decided to capture some short teaser / footages of various levels with updated levels & graphics before moving on for later to compare with re-worked particles.

MilkMan5x

(joke.gif)

Making some progression regarding the particles n' stuff.. Second one is some death animation I've quickly whipped up as a joke.

MilkMan5x

Particle's getting some progress, Yo!

And I've added some sort of penalty for being... Exhausted!
Now every swing of your hammer counts; Swing wisely, Everyone.

...Maybe I've made him a bit TOO MUCH tired as well..

Last edited:

scorpafied

interesting game concept. personally i think the characters jump might come out smoother if u play around with how fast he falls compared to how long it takes the reach the top of the jump.

alot of nes games which what the visual style of this looks like to me would have the haracter jump at one speed and fall at a slightly faster speed. this just gave the jump a better feel. alot of games did this mario would be the most extreme example of it.

the reason i mentioned this specifically was that your game is focused entirely around the jumping and swinging of that hammer.and your hammer gives good feedback as it hits an enemy. so i focused on the jump

just some friendly advice, liked your commitment thus far. so i thought u might value the feedback.

Last edited:

MilkMan5x

interesting game concept. personally i think the characters jump might come out smoother if u play around with how fast he falls compared to how long it takes the reach the top of the jump.

alot of nes games which what the visual style of this looks like to me would have the haracter jump at one speed and fall at a slightly faster speed. this just gave the jump a better feel. alot of games did this mario would be the most extreme example of it.

the reason i mentioned this specifically was that your game is focused entirely around the jumping and swinging of that hammer.and your hammer gives good feedback as it hits an enemy. so i focused on the jump

just some friendly advice, liked your commitment thus far. so i thought u might value the feedback.
Ooh, That's a great advice.. I'll keep that in mind & Do that when I get to tweak the game's physics, Thank you!

scorpafied

Ooh, That's a great advice.. I'll keep that in mind & Do that when I get to tweak the game's physics, Thank you!
no probs :)

one thing i do like which visible in the first posts gif actually. when the character gets nesr the ordimants theres this little pause and it always feels like its nesr the jumps apex. which i quite like. not sure how u manage that i take it u reduced the gravity as it got nesr by or something. whatever u did its a nice touch