• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Cretaceous Carnage

J

Jordanb

http://pixel-barons.itch.io/cretaceous-carnage

Cretaceous Carnage is a dinosaur fighting game created in 48 hours.
  • Four unique characters
  • Two players local
  • Play against ai opponents
This game was made in a jam and is released in its current state for the moment but we are working on updates. There aren't generally many fighting games in GameMaker so it was a fun project to make with a good amount of problem solving. We just did a short post-mortem over on our blog with some more behind the scenes stuff. Sort of figuring out where to take it next and have a lot of balancing to do but would love to get some feedback on what we have so far.

Last edited by a moderator:
B

Better Nature

The content on display is very impressive for 48 hours of work. I played Arcade mode with all of the fighters. I didn't win a single round with any of them except for the ankylosaurus, and even with him I still didn't win the match. I don't really blame the game for this, I'm generally pretty bad at fighting games, but I still think I can give a few thoughts on how the game feels.

There's a bit of a feedback problem, I think. I didn't really feel the impact of my attacks. Most attacks felt too slow as well, with long windups before the actual hit (although my opponents seemed able to attack much faster, so it might be in issue of my poor skill). I think the biggest issue, though, was that just about every character had an attack that would send them flying forward through the enemy, and leave them completely vulnerable from behind. The only exception to this was ankylosaurus who pushed the enemy back when doing his launch forward attack.

So, my advice:
- Give more feedback when you land hits. I know some fighting games actually pause the action for a frame to give their impacts more force. I'm not saying you should do that, but I want to feel my hits when I land them.
- Tighten up the response time between button press and action. I mostly felt like my attacks were happening 2-3 seconds after I pressed the button.
- If you are going to have a lung forward attack, have it knock the enemy back rather than going through them.

Overall I'm very impressed. I'd love to see where this goes with some more time in the oven.