GameMaker Creator Edition Questions

S

Samus

Hi! So I was thinking about getting Game Maker Studio 2. I see the least expensive option is the Creator Windows edition, but the license only lasts 12 months. I'm not planning on releasing any of my games (I'm just having fun making games), so my question is, if my license expires after 12 months, will I still be able to use the software and just not be able to legally publish my projects, or will the Software cease to be usable?

andev

if my license expires after 12 months, will I still be able to use the software and just not be able to legally publish my projects, or will the Software cease to be usable?
AFAIK, the software stops working after that time.

But I read somewhere that if at the end of the 12 months you want to upgrade, you get the amount you paid for the 12 months discounted from the final total. That will need to be verified though.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
But I read somewhere that if at the end of the 12 months you want to upgrade, you get the amount you paid for the 12 months discounted from the final total. That will need to be verified though.
Indeed! If you decide to upgrade anytime within the twelve month period the amount you spent on the Creator licence will be discounted. :)

S

Samus

Thanks for replying. I thought that you only get 30% off your upgrade? 30% of 99 is 29.99, 30$. Seems I would save 10$ by paying more up front for the whole version, so if I get GMS 2 I would go that way. Free trial is very promising. :)

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
Yes, it's a "discount", not a pay the difference. Technically it is more expensive to buy Creators, then upgrade than to just buy Desktop.