• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Mac OSX Creating vectors from pngs for GMS2

N

Nathan

I've recently decided to try using vectors for some of my sprites to get much higher quality scaling out of them. All of my sprites are currently gif and png (2D sprite game), so I need to convert them to vectors that GMS2 can import.

I tried using photoshop/image ready to export as swf, but when I import it the only thing that shows up is a white canvas the size of the sprite.

Can someone help me out on how I can convert to vectors to import into GMS2? I'm not sure what steps I'm missing. Thanks!

hogwater

You're going to need to recreate the artwork as vector art, even if you could convert png to vector you wouldn't get a higher quality image once you scale it up.

N

Nathan

Yes i am looking how to create vectors that GMS2 can import. Programs that can create them? It cannot import SVG, only swf

JackTurbo

You could try using a "live trace" feature in a vector drawing package like illustrator, but to be honest the results wouldnt be great.

Realistically the only way to vectorise artwork with any decent level of quality is to do it manual by hand with the pen tool.
Even then it wont work great with every art style.

JackTurbo

I tried illustrator and it's doing the same thing, just importing a white frame the size of the image. :\
Thats because you havent actually vectored the artwork. GMS wont display raster based artwork contained within a swf, only basic vector shapes.

N

Nathan

Damn, looks like it's back to the drawing board, way too much work to trace everything.

L

Lonewolff

I tried illustrator and it's doing the same thing, just importing a white frame the size of the image. :\
You do have to watch what version you export to. Needs to be exported as AI v9 format.

Thats because you havent actually vectored the artwork. GMS wont display raster based artwork contained within a swf, only basic vector shapes.
Very true also.

You need to select image trace first, this will vectorise the image.

Damn, looks like it's back to the drawing board, way too much work to trace everything.
Geez, you give up easily. LOL

I guarantee that my project has more traced images than anyone has ever done before.

~10K at last count.

That's why you automate it and walk away for an hour ;)

N

Nathan

I will have to get back to you soon and pick your brain more since you have walked the path already (possibly, I'll send more details in a PM). I've been at it for 6 hours today trying various things so my brain is toast and I neglected all of my cleaning scheduled for the day, so the give up mechanism kicked in lol

Thanks for keeping me in check and I'll reach out soon!

You do have to watch what version you export to. Needs to be exported as AI v9 format.

Very true also.

You need to select image trace first, this will vectorise the image.

Geez, you give up easily. LOL

I guarantee that my project has more traced images than anyone has ever done before.

~10K at last count.

That's why you automate it and walk away for an hour ;)

L

Lonewolff

Been chatting with Nathan via PM on this one.

Couple of additional things came to light.

This will make the vectors nice and crisp.

Code:
draw_enable_swf_aa(true);
draw_set_swf_aa_level(1);
And with regards to getting rid of the white background in Illustrator, which is exporting with the vector.

(In Illustrator of course)
Object > Expand
Click the 'eye dropper'
Select the white background and press delete
Save the file