• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Creating simple floor tilesets

I've just got a new license for GameMaker Studio 2, and I'm trying to make a floor asset for a Legend of Zelda-style game with simple assets, which can mark the boundaries of rooms. How do I do that?

Simplest way:
- Import a sprite of the tileset you want to use.
- Make a Tileset out of the sprite
- Create a Tileset layer in the room editor
- Select the tileset you imported, and start painting away. Just make sure the grid size and the tileset size match.

D

Deleted member 13992

Hard to say without knowing what your intent or vision is. What are we looking at?

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
We can't answer design decisions for you. Use it, see if it looks nice to you. If it does, it's good. If it doesn't, it's not good.

Make a tileset. Place the tiles you've made in the room. Then either place invisible objects on the tiles and use those objects for collisions, or learn how to implement tile based collisions. Job done. Have you done any of the tutorials for GMS? If you're making a tileset without any knowledge at all about how it's going to be used, then you'll probably run into problems. Do tutorials, learn how to use GMS, then make your platformer.

Find a platformer tutorial, we aren't here to write code for you and what you're asking for is going to be a relatively substantial chunk of your player movement code.

Make a tileset. Place the tiles you've made in the room. Then either place invisible objects on the tiles and use those objects for collisions, or learn how to implement tile based collisions. Job done. Have you done any of the tutorials for GMS? If you're making a tileset without any knowledge at all about how it's going to be used, then you'll probably run into problems. Do tutorials, learn how to use GMS, then make your platformer.
How do I implement tile-based collisions?