• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Discussion Creating music for your game

fetito666

Hello!

What program do you use to create music for your game? So far I have zero experience in making music and probably I'll give that task to another person. However, I'd like to experiment.

What programs do you use?

I use Garageband. I wouldn't say it is the best option, but it is free for macs (in fact, it's installed by default). Unfortunately you can't use it on Windows. (Legally)

Garageband doesn't have the best quality music in the end, but if you're good, you can make it sound pretty awesome anyways. I've tried a lot of free music programs, and Garageband is the only one I really like. (Partially because it's what I used to learn though). If you just want to experiment it's probably a fine option, because I'm assuming you don't want to blow 100 dollars on a program you might not even use 2 months from now.

Garageband does have an upgrade that is a much higher level tool, but I haven't used it. That's nice though, because Garageband files are directly compatible with the paid tool, so when you're ready, you can instantly upgrade to a more powerful tool.

Do you have no music experience at all, or do you just not know how to compose? (Like, can you at least play an instrument?)

Last edited:

RizbIT

beatz maker evolution and mixcraft

well more the latter as its more professional but i started off with beatz maker as it was free and easier to use

G

GM029

I've been playing around with LMMS and FamiTracker, both free and pretty easy to use.

To be honest I have zero experience with instruments (although I survived several moshpits).
In that case, I'd recommend trying to learn an instrument first. Even just doing drums. To write music, you'll need to know at least a basic knowledge of music. I can't imagine being able to write music without first playing music at least a little bit, (though I could be wrong). Youtube is pretty good for this. Find an instrument you can play and look up tutorial videos. Once you know how to play notes, see if you can figure out some of your favorite songs by ear (which means play the song without looking up the actual notes).

For writing music, I like the piano the best because you can do chords and notes. You can also do this with guitar (I just never liked the sound of guitar as much). If you can learn at least a few basic chords and recognize their inversions you can write fun music by picking a chord progressing and sticking a melody on top. Try to learn the Circle of Fifths. This wouldn't be orchestra quality music, but its a good starting point.

Also, you could find a tool (garageband would work for this) and just play around making notes and listening to the various software instruments. Turns out a lot can be achieved just by playing a single note on a pre-built synthesizer. And even though you have no experience, I'm sure you can find things that sound good vs. don't sound good without knowing why.

Even if all this work convinces you just to have someone else do it, I strongly, strongly, recommend learning it yourself anyways. Knowing music theory is an invaluable skill for a game designer (and by extension, developer) because it makes it easier to communicate with your composer. Cool things like interactive or adaptive soundtracks don't work unless there's someone who can program and understands music who can describe the concept to the entire team.

Also, learning, playing and writing music is all around very rewarding and fun, in life in general.

At any rate, good luck with your music stuff! If you start learning and have questions, feel free to PM. Just know I won't answer questions that can be found on the internet quickly. :)

Changgi

Not a good suggestion, but the first time I actually tried making music for games (I have no experience with digital music-making) I actually used Mario Paint or Mario Composer (I forgot the name) cause that's the one that seemed the most easy for a complete newbie to use. Just thought it would be funny to share.

M

mochipon

If you want to spend a little money, I suggest you buy a midi-controller. That's basically a musical keyboard, but instead of having speakers, it connects to your PC via USB.
There's usually some form of software included, and you can get a decent one with 4 octaves for around 70 € or perhaps 80 $ I guess... I'm not sure what currency you use.
Cheaper ones have fewer octaves so you won't be able to play with 2 hands, but that might not be a problem since the software will let you record both hands independently.

The point of having a musical keyboard is that it will let you play around with music, practice and find melodies you like. You can do this with a computer keyboard in theory, or just by software alone, but it will be very tedious that way.

If you think you can hum or whistle a good melody but you cannot play it on a keyboard, there are some free apps that tell you what note they're hearing, so you can transcribe the music into your software this way as well.

Just I guess be very careful, because the chance that you'll create annoying tunes is very high in the beginning, so instead of trying to create something really catchy, it's probably better to stick to more subtle things that don't draw a lot of attention.

Scythuz

I use Cubase 8.5 Pro for all of my main composing and sound design work, it's a bit on the high-end price wise but the sheer amount of features you get with it and overall performance is excellent.

I also use Audacity for quick audio edits and looping (metadata functions are very handy for this).

Q

Quailfail

It's also great practice to edit/play with environmental sounds and create your own sound library. Find yourself a good used field recorder and go to your favourite and least favourite places to record their sounds. As you learn to edit/twist them you may find yourself with some cool replacement sounds for pieces you were unable to obtain otherwise.

Factories are great for percussion!

U

Ungrateful Dead

I usually use FL Studio myself. It's one of the cheaper options on the market, and if you work primarily with synths and drums you really can't go wrong with how accessible it's interface is. As mentioned earlier Reaper is also super good, but can be very complicated and a bit daunting if you're just starting off.

If it's your first time composing, I would strongly recommend finding a keyboard (physical or digital) and just playing around with melodies and the such before diving in.

fetito666

I usually use FL Studio myself. It's one of the cheaper options on the market, and if you work primarily with synths and drums you really can't go wrong with how accessible it's interface is. As mentioned earlier Reaper is also super good, but can be very complicated and a bit daunting if you're just starting off.

If it's your first time composing, I would strongly recommend finding a keyboard (physical or digital) and just playing around with melodies and the such before diving in.
So with FL Studio I could create chiptune music and also ambient background music?

So with FL Studio I could create chiptune music and also ambient background music?
Yes. Same as Cubase or Reaper. Or Pro Logic. Or Ableton Live. Or any other DAW out there, haha.

I mentioned Reaper first for you because it's free, but any DAW will work for anything you want to make.

Someone else mentioned Famitracker already, too. That's probably also worth looking at for you.

Last edited:
Oh, my bad, lol. Reaper is "not free" like winRar is "not free."
As in, it'll let you keep on using it after the trial period, but it'll tell you "THIS IS NOT FREE, PLEASE BUY IT."
....If you keep using it, you should buy it. The license is only $60 iirc, which is stupidly cheap for a fully functioning DAW, hahah.

Sorry, forgot about that. I originally found it by googling around for free DAWs, heheh.
Some people probably just use it indefinitely without buying a license, since you can, but you should of course pay for it if you like it. The devs are cool enough to let you use it until you have the money for it, so obviously be cool back to them and pay for the software if you get use out of it. =)

Last edited:
A

amusudan

Reaper looks amazing, I want to get started with learning how to make music for my own games and this thread is a gold mine, thanks guys!

Bingdom

Googledom
I took a quick peep at reaper recently. If I'm not mistaken, It looks like it just allows you to combine a series of musical instrument plays.
This could easily be done in audacity, but I assume Reaper has some special effects that can be applied to audio files that audacity doesn't have.

S

Storyteller

d-lusion has some nice software.
bt-010
rubber duck

Im currently using Aria Maestosa for Midi work

Musagi is simply epic.